Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new set of wheels with new cassette. The old wheelset had an SLX cassette and the new one is XT but both are the same gear range.

With the new cassette the chain rubs at the top of the cassette (12 o'clock) when in the two smallest gears. If I backpedal in these two gears the chain catches slightly on the next bigger cog. I don't remember this happening on my older set of wheels (I don't have that set right now to double check).

When I was putting the new cassette on the new set of wheels I had the whole drivetrain off to clean (cranks, derailleur, chain). Everything went back together normally. Also, I installed a new set of derailleur pulley wheels (XT). Shifting (indexing) is snappy and feels good.

Is this an adjustment issue? Did I not install the cranks correctly?

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
You need to reset the derailleur from scratch. Unless you replaced the wheels with the exact same wheelset, a derailleur adjustment is normally needed when switching to a new wheelset. Hub dimensions are different.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
All of the above. But with a fresh derailleur adjustment I would have thought it wouldn't be an issue.
I'm thinking I mis-read your description. What exactly is the chain rubbing on? I read it as the chain rubbing the tire when it's on the two biggest cogs (the "smallest gears"). If that's wrong, sorry, completely disregard what I wrote.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking I mis-read your description. What exactly is the chain rubbing on? I read it as the chain rubbing the tire when it's on the two biggest cogs (the "smallest gears"). If that's wrong, sorry, completely disregard what I wrote.
It's not the tire. It's rubbing the next largest cog right at the 12 o'clock position.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Try turning the barrel adjuster in very slightly. If that doesn’t work, confirm that the hanger isn’t tweaked. Weird things can happen with a slightly tweaked hanger especially when you use a used chain on a new cassette.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Try turning the barrel adjuster in very slightly. If that doesn't work, confirm that the hanger isn't tweaked. Weird things can happen with a slightly tweaked hanger especially when you use a used chain on a new cassette.
Yes. Particularly the used chain on a new cassette part. When I change out cassettes, I just replace the chain as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.