Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I tend to go through 9-speed chains pretty frequently these days, so when stocking-up on new chain, I'd prefer to choose something more durable, without necessarily being the lightest weight. And before you ask: yes I'm a larger gent (~91kg), and often prefer to mash pretty hard, at a reasonably low cadence. And while I'm tempted by the single-speed thing, sadly I'm too old and lazy for that :)

Anyway, out if these chains which one would you pick, and why?
  • SRAM PC-991 (cross-step rivets)
  • SRAM PC-991 (hollow-pin rivets)
  • SRAM PC-991 (2008 model)
  • Shimano CN-7701
  • Other?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Shimano CN-7701 shifts better and has proven to be more durable then any of the SRAM chains. I've even found it shifts better on SRAM cassettes.

You can use a SRAM Powerlink or Connex Connector to make it easy to remove the chain for cleaning as well.

For reference, my riding weight is 225lbs

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, your info does sound very plausible to me, thanks. Oh, by the way, I guess my riding weight would be nearer to ~225lbs too, considering all the water, food, cameras etc I like to cart everywhere :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The others are right. The ONLY drawback of Shimano chains is their insistance on staying with a pin closure rather than a decent connector link. Go for the Shimano, id you do decide on Sram, avoid hollow pins at your weight.

Also, since you asked about others, Consider the Wippermann chains which hold up very well.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
SteveUK said:
KMC X9.93, right up there with the CN7701, in my opinion.
Ah, that's interesting. I've had good luck with KMC chains, and my understanding is that KMC actually manufactures all Shimano-branded chains anyway, so that definitely figures. But KMC chains aren't always easy to get here in Oz, so I'll probably go for CN-7701 I think.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It would be interesting to create a topic in which everyone posts his chain and how many miles it lasted (for example, Shimano HG-73 - 1200 miles). Then, make a plot or something with the average miles.
Hasn't it been done already?
What do you think?

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"It would be interesting to create a topic in which everyone posts his chain and how many miles it lasted"

Interesting idea, for sure; but there would be way, way to many variables to be able to present the chains on a level field.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.