Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Upgrading the chain ring on my trail bike (actually wanting to try oval).

Current chain ring is 32T. Wondering if I should stick with 32T or drop to 30T to get a little bit lower gearing.

Very hard for me to tell if I need lower gearing or not. I find myself on the largest rear cog at times, and less frequently on the smallest.

I hear that an oval inherently expands your range a bit anyway, so maybe replacing with 32T is enough.

Thoughts? Is there a typical chain ring size for the 11-50T 12-speed that can help me decide?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
All,

Current chain ring is 32T. Wondering if I should stick with 32T or drop to 30T to get a little bit lower gearing.

Very hard for me to tell if I need lower gearing or not. I find myself on the largest rear cog at times, and less frequently on the smallest.

I hear that an oval inherently expands your range a bit anyway, so maybe replacing with 32T is enough.

Thoughts? Is there a typical chain ring size for the 11-50T 12-speed that can help me decide?

Thanks.
Either will be ok.

30T is equivalent to 32t at it's widest point.

32T is equivalent to 34T at it's widest point, so you may find it a little harder to push.

With bikes I've bought I usually go 2 teeth less on Ovals.

I always run Ovals, so am familiar with nuisances.

Enjoy your Ovaltine.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, if it's hard for YOU to tell, it's about impossible for me.
I'm on a 29er, 12 speed, 10-50 in Utah. Lots of climbing out here, but I have no idea what it's like where you live.
I'm using a 30t oval and love it.
Yea, I know. It's hard for me to judge because I don't really pay attention to where I'm sitting on the cogs when I'm riding. Was out today in a park with some decent climbs and noticed I hit the 50t a couple of times. Wasn't necessarily "looking for more", but I was topped out. Central PA has some decent elevation, very few places that are flat. I'm figuring it's probably better to have the room for the climbs as downhill can always be achieved without much pedaling.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Yea, I know. It's hard for me to judge because I don't really pay attention to where I'm sitting on the cogs when I'm riding. Was out today in a park with some decent climbs and noticed I hit the 50t a couple of times. Wasn't necessarily "looking for more", but I was topped out. Central PA has some decent elevation, very few places that are flat. I'm figuring it's probably better to have the room for the climbs as downhill can always be achieved without much pedaling.
I ride in the Mid Atlantic. Most people tend to run 30t. Mainly for clearance issues. I'm not in the 50t on the cassette much. Unless things get really steep.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Going from a 30t round to a 30t oval, I didn't see much difference. Going back to a 30t round, while waiting for my replacement oval, though, I really noticed it!
I find the improvement in traction on an oval worth the $$. Some people say that it helps with knee pain as well, but that hasn't been an issue for me., and I tend to have a slower cadence that is more "torque" oriented.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
All,

Thanks.
What's your wheel size?

·
Registered
140 Posts
All,

Thanks.
Match the ring to the size you have now. The oval ring difference will be a bit lost if you drop a ring size as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.