Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MTBR.com Addict
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my gearie hardtail, I took off my big ring, replaced it with a bash guard. Then I replaced the middle ring (34) with a 36 tooth ring. Now I'm thinking of replacing the granny (22) with a 24 tooth. Any one ever try something like this? Should I leave the granny ring alone?
As it is, I spend most of my time in the 36 tooth ring and some where in the middle of the cassette.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,020 Posts
Small chain ring

STrackMike said:
On my gearie hardtail, I took off my big ring, replaced it with a bash guard. Then I replaced the middle ring (34) with a 36 tooth ring. Now I'm thinking of replacing the granny (22) with a 24 tooth. Any one ever try something like this? Should I leave the granny ring alone?
As it is, I spend most of my time in the 36 tooth ring and some where in the middle of the cassette.
Personally, no but I know people who have. This makes your granny gear about 10% steeper than it is currently or equivalent to being one gear higher all the time. Because there are fewer teeth to begin with it's a more significant change than going from 34 to 36 teeth on the middle ring.

How's the Sugar?

·
MTBR.com Addict
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
0gre said:
Personally, no but I know people who have. This makes your granny gear about 10% steeper than it is currently or equivalent to being one gear higher all the time. Because there are fewer teeth to begin with it's a more significant change than going from 34 to 36 teeth on the middle ring.

How's the Sugar?
Ok, something to think about then.

The Sugar is still being built. I'm waiting on new cables and a new FR Avid Mechanical Disc brake from Performance. I'm not at all happy with the Hayes MX-1's on the Sugar 3. They have this stupid little vented knob on the inside of the caliper to adjust the inner pad clearance. As soon as you get some dirt in there, it makes it a serious PITA to adjust it. The new Hayes MX-2's though use a threaded plug with a 5mm allen key hole to adjust with....much better and more reliable. I couldn't find any of the Hayes MX-2's on sale though, but found the Avid's on sale, plus I had like $60 of their coupons and a 20% off one item coupon. Easy decision on where to go...huh? :D
I got a SID fork for the bike and will be swapping over parts from the Sugar 3 soon. I hope to have it ready for 24HOA, if not, I've got my hardtail standing by.
For those bolt holes/wells on the triangle, I sent it back once again to get it taken care. It kinda looks like they didn't do anything. So rather than wait again, I grabbed the dremel and a sanding drum and took off all the paint inside the wells and the bolts just barely fit. I will probably back them out and sand a little more just to give a hairs breadth more clearance. I solved the the long bolt issue by running down to OSH with the bolt and grabbing two teflon washers specifically sized for each end of it. Worked like a charm, no slop and there is still free motion, not noticing any stiction. I ended up getting a cane creek s-2 headset for the frame, my fav headset currently. That's pretty much the skinny of where I'm at with it.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,020 Posts
Patience

STrackMike said:
Ok, something to think about then.

The Sugar is still being built. I'm waiting on new cables and a new FR Avid Mechanical Disc brake from Performance. I'm not at all happy with the Hayes MX-1's on the Sugar 3. They have this stupid little vented knob on the inside of the caliper to adjust the inner pad clearance. As soon as you get some dirt in there, it makes it a serious PITA to adjust it. The new Hayes MX-2's though use a threaded plug with a 5mm allen key hole to adjust with....much better and more reliable. I couldn't find any of the Hayes MX-2's on sale though, but found the Avid's on sale, plus I had like $60 of their coupons and a 20% off one item coupon. Easy decision on where to go...huh? :D
I got a SID fork for the bike and will be swapping over parts from the Sugar 3 soon. I hope to have it ready for 24HOA, if not, I've got my hardtail standing by.
For those bolt holes/wells on the triangle, I sent it back once again to get it taken care. It kinda looks like they didn't do anything. So rather than wait again, I grabbed the dremel and a sanding drum and took off all the paint inside the wells and the bolts just barely fit. I will probably back them out and sand a little more just to give a hairs breadth more clearance. I solved the the long bolt issue by running down to OSH with the bolt and grabbing two teflon washers specifically sized for each end of it. Worked like a charm, no slop and there is still free motion, not noticing any stiction. I ended up getting a cane creek s-2 headset for the frame, my fav headset currently. That's pretty much the skinny of where I'm at with it.
You are much more patient than I am. I got my new Switchblade Frame on a Sunday and had it mostly built Monday, and finished it Tuesday in time for a Tuesday Evening ride. Fortunately I had most of the parts around the house so I didn't need to buy much to get it going. I did wind up turning a functioning bike into a scrap heap though. I still need to get some issues ironed out though, mostly replacing the front shock and a few other odds and ends.

I'm glad the issue with the bolts was fairly easy to resolve. Hopefully you'll be riding that bad boy soon. If you are going to 24 HOA I might see you there if they let me on the MTBR team.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.