Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to build up a new ride and want to make it a 1x9. With no front derailleur and only the one front chainring. Do you think a chain retention devise will be necessary or will the tension from the rear derailleur keep the chain from coming off the front ring? More than likely I'll have a 32 tooth chainring with a bashguard/rockring. I'm still debating whether it will be full-suspension or hardtail, but more than like likely it'll be an F.S. rig. Thanks

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
I think you could also get a ring up front that has taller teeth (e.g. not designed to be shifted off of, like for a SS) and that'd help you out. I bet you'd still drop your chain every now and then though still without a chain guide...just depends how much you want to deal with it.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Agreed, with a Spot or Salsa non-profiled ring, you'll have the best bet against random chain drops.

A short cage derailleur provides more chain tension than a longer one. With a 1x9, running a GS or even an SS cage length is not a problem.

However, since you're planning to run a bash ring, you're halfway there. Why not just add a Jump Stop or Third Eye and you'll be all set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
beekeeper357 said:
I am preparing to build up a new ride and want to make it a 1x9. With no front derailleur and only the one front chainring. Do you think a chain retention devise will be necessary or will the tension from the rear derailleur keep the chain from coming off the front ring? More than likely I'll have a 32 tooth chainring with a bashguard/rockring. I'm still debating whether it will be full-suspension or hardtail, but more than like likely it'll be an F.S. rig. Thanks
I was thinking of the same setup.On my DMR Switchback the chain defintely de-rails
on my 2 largest rear cogs.I'm going to get an E13 chain guide to fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.