Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Busted my first chain today. About 1km left to the ride and the chain busted on my Norco Bigfoot. I find it odd that it broke, but I guess all the torque to get the tires moving killed the chain.

Can anyone suggest a good replacement. I don't want this to happen again.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Chains break sometimes. I've only broken one in 40 years of cycling and it was on a fatbike. I think the stresses associated with riding in conditions fatbikes were designed for are greater and more failures are to be expected. I don't think brand is all that important. The chain I broke was a SRAM and I still use SRAM chains mostly because the rest of my drivetrain is SRAM. I've had mechanics tell me that the higher priced chains have better corrosion resistance, but are not stronger per se. Not sure if this is true. Maybe some engineer types will chime in with some factual info. I usually go with the middle price range. I think I'm running a SRAM 991 right now.

Where did yours fail?

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
KMC and shifting technique are the best solutions to your problem, but there is no promise you won't break one again.

There is a UK member here that might pop in and talk about your spannering techniques, and if he does, ignore him.

·
1,711 Posts
I bought the spendy KMC X10SL Gold chain and while it has held up to the "no rusting" feature... the dang thing has broken on me 3 times in the last 2 years. But I have had all chain brands break on me in my biking history.

What chain was on your bike? Can't you just put a quick link on and keep using it? Always carry quick links.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
duggus, you gotta ditch that SL version of the chain.

I had one w/ about 400mi on it (which is a lot for a guy my size) that broke. I tried to fix it and realized that no only did it break, it broke in 3 places.

Ever since I have gone to the 10.93 version, I am not disappoint.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input.

According to Norco the OEM chain on the Bigfoot is KMC HG-53.

Veloborealis - It looks like the plate bent outwards where it met the pin, allowing the other link to slide off the pin.

I fired a email to my LBS and they suggested

Both the shimano HG70 or 90 series are better chains.
I prefer the SRAM PC971 or PC991 over the shimano.
35-60 $ I believe.
Usually the kmc is good but gets bad fast after 1200-1500kms

Anyone use KMC Rust Busters?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts