Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I repair my chain, that link is always stiff and usually ends up breaking down the line.

I use the park chain tool to push the pin almost all the way out, then put the new side in and push the pin back in so i can see it come all the way through.

Does anyone have any suggestions/tricks to repair a chain and not have that link become the weak link?

Thanks,
A

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
modern chains have peened/riveted pins. if using a shimano chain use a new shimano connecting pin or use a sram power link to connect it back up. if using sram, use a power link. kmc chains use a kmc missing link.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Actually, each time you push a pin link out it weakens it structurally. The chain pin has small flanges on the ends to hold it in place better. When you press it through the link with a chain tool you bend these flanges a little bit. The chain pins really aren't designed to be pushed laterally and maintain strength. This is why Shimano makes their special replacement pins and SRAM makes the quick links. Like you, I have used non-replacement pins in a pinch and they definately got the job done. Most of the time they would even last me mulitple rides. Eventually, the chain would break at that same link though.

Do yourself a favor and buy some quick links or powerlinks for your chain in an emergency. They are WAY easier to use too. The SRAM link for an 8 speed chain will fit Shimano chains that are also 8 speed. I am not sure if the same is true for 9 speeds though. I am sure you can find more info on this site about it.

If you stay with a regular Shimano chain and don't go the quick link route, there are some simple procedures that will help you put less stress on the chain and hopefully allow it to last longer. Try to make sure, when you disconnect a chain, that you disconnect the chain at the proper pin and link. A full link consists of an outer (wider) link connected to an inner (thinner) link by a connecting pin. You want to pull out a FULL link (inner and outer) when replacing. (See the tech doc below. A visual is MUCH easier to understand.) They SAY this is the "preferred" method of link removal because it makes for a stronger chain.

Lastly, if you are having stiff links after replacing chain links, yuo can easily loosen them by simply putting a little lateral stress on that specific link. The easiest way to do it is to grab the chain like you would if you were going to snap a pencil in your hands. Put your thumbs on either end of the link that you want to loosen where the pins get inserted and push and pull against the pins laterally. It may take a little bit of pressure so don't be afraid. This will eventually loosen that link up enough that it will freely bend like the others.

Hope this helps and I didn't bore you to death. Good riding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! Ill give the quick links a shot. Good to know its not just the way i was removing it. I thought i must have been missing small but important step in the process.

Thanks again!

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
If the link becomes stiff, the pin is probably too far to one side. Pushing it a little one way or even just bending the chain sideways may fix this. Ideally, you should use new pins or the Power Links and such.

·
Registered
350 Posts
perttime said:
If the link becomes stiff, the pin is probably too far to one side. Pushing it a little one way or even just bending the chain sideways may fix this. Ideally, you should use new pins or the Power Links and such.
:thumbsup:
after youve put your pin back in, flip your chainbreak to the other side of the pin and put a small bit of pressure on the side you just pushed through. this usually fixes the stiff link.(your chain'll probably re-break at this place, but atleast it wont be jumping off you rings) i like this way the best, but putting some side tension (the pencil break tip) works too. and imho, powerlinks are the way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.