Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been using a pc59 or 69 on my intense 5.5 since i got it last winter, and ive gone through 3 chains (all of them snapped either at the link or the "quick link"). would it be good to try the pc99 or is there another choice, obviosly shimano's not an option.

im 225 ride trails on a 5.5 12-34 cogs

could it be the chain line on my intense causing the problems?

happy festivus and merry new year
STEVE

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
I bailed on sram chains my knees can't read japanese but hate getting bounced/jacked on a busted chain so I listen to them rather than pay the bloody price. Shimano chains are WAY stronger with its pins and cheaper, LX model drags my cylde asre around for just about PC 59 rates. Of the sram chains I found the pc 69 to be the strongest but I think is now discontinued, go figure ;)

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I can't comprehend how many people are breaking SRAMs, particularly at the P-Link...the strongest link on the chain.

I ride SRAM exclusively on my my SS and FS gearie. The only chain I've broken was a severely (my bad) cross chained 99 hollow pin. It broke at a regular link, not the P-Link. Note, this was a chain I should not have been riding anyway at 260+. Repaired with a spare P-Link and went strong for another 2 months before being put aside for winter.

I don't think it's accurate to say Shi+mano chains are "way" stronger. In fact, it's flatly inaccurate. The most common chain failure I see trailside are Shi+mano chains that died and not properly repaired with the right pin (i.e. re-used pins vs. new). What a PITA.

I can tell you this - I've "fixed" exponentially more Shi+mano chains with extra P-Links than I've busted SRAM chains.

Check your chainline and gearing choices (incl predisposition to cross chain). Make sure you're running the right length chain. Make sure you've "set" the P-link properly. Upgrading to the 99 is likely to yield more weight savings than durability improvements.

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
maynard said:
ive been using a pc59 or 69 on my intense 5.5 since i got it last winter, and ive gone through 3 chains (all of them snapped either at the link or the "quick link"). would it be good to try the pc99 or is there another choice, obviosly shimano's not an option.

im 225 ride trails on a 5.5 12-34 cogs

could it be the chain line on my intense causing the problems?

happy festivus and merry new year
STEVE
Similar question. 8 speed rant by me below:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=147238

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cn 7701

I weigh 260 pounds ive been running a shimano CN 7701 for about 7 months no breaking. I went through 2 sram chains before getting on this forum and asking what was up, some guy said try the CN 7701, the xtr level shimano, i haven;t broken one since. Now instead of breaking chains im shredding freehubs.

·
Registered
555 Posts
My take on chains

I have found no difference in strength between a PC99 and a Dura ace chain. Where the difference lies, is that the SRAM chains wears out twice as fast as the Shimano. I am done with SRAM chains, Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.