Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone from Calfornia other U.S. states made purchases online from Chain Reaction Cycles.

want to buy a Shimano XT M776 Wheelset and they have the best price with free shipping to U.S.

I just don't feel all that comfortable making purchases from the United Kingdom online.

Any help please.

Tyson

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Fear not. I've ordered twice from them for items that were cheaper even with the shipping. Didn't take long to arrive, either. They are mentioned often in the forums and I haven't read anything negative.

·
Registered
454 Posts
CRC rocks! I bought a handbuilt set of wheels and they were on my doorstep in exactly 1 week from when I ordered. Perfectly packaged and true.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,955 Posts
Let me join the chorus here -- CRC ROCKS!

Selection is incredible, lotta good prices, and free shipping when you order enough; delivery arrived for me last year on the day I expected the e-mail telling me my order had shipped -- what does that tell you?

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I have yet to buy from them, but if you spend enough you get free shipping even to the US.

·
Registered
9 Posts
easier to deal with than australian distributers (tho thats not saying much) and stuff gets down here in about a week, i've waited longer for local distributers to send bits around the same city :madman:
most of their stuff is cheaper than aus WHOLESALE, i sh1t you not

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
They rock. Keep in mind customs fees though. Ordered a Reba for ~$400 and got bent over dry with a $52 customs fee on an item that shipped to the US for free. Nothing CRC can do about it and I don't know if it has anything to do with shipping courier. Just a heads up so when you see the postal worker standing at your doorstep with a glint in their eye and your package you may want to get the checkbook.

·
Registered
189 Posts
moishlashen said:
They rock. Keep in mind customs fees though. Ordered a Reba for ~$400 and got bent over dry with a $52 customs fee on an item that shipped to the US for free. Nothing CRC can do about it and I don't know if it has anything to do with shipping courier. Just a heads up so when you see the postal worker standing at your doorstep with a glint in their eye and your package you may want to get the checkbook.
Was it shipped through RM to USPS or was it sent UPS or FEDEX? The import duty rate is 3.9% for forks and the first $200 is exempt.

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
Remy Darke said:
Was it shipped through RM to USPS or was it sent UPS or FEDEX? The import duty rate is 3.9% for forks and the first $200 is exempt.
Royal mail on their end and USPS here in the US. I paid about 12% or so for customs. It doesn't seem right to me and I have a protest letter off to the USPS.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've had several orders with them, and until the last two they were flawless. Last one was a set of formula R1's that came as two Front Brakes.:madman:

I will say in fairness that they respond in a reasonable amount of time for being across the Atlantic and have always sorted things out. I have always placed orders of a total high enough to get free shipping and I've never had to pay on my end. Their stuff usually arrives within 6-8 business days.

·
Registered
189 Posts
moishlashen said:
Royal mail on their end and USPS here in the US. I paid about 12% or so for customs. It doesn't seem right to me and I have a protest letter off to the USPS.

Thanks for the info.
Sounds like customs may have screwed something up. The highest duty rate for bikes/parts is 11% which only applies to bikes with wheel sizes under 25". The fork falls under heading HTS 8714.91.30 which is 3.9% but you could argue that it falls under heading HTS 8714.91.90 which is duty free.

If it was FEDEX or UPS I'd expect it with their brokerage fees but it's unusual with USPS. Most USPS packages pass through customs without even being looked at. Hopefully you can get your money back.

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
Remy Darke said:
Sounds like customs may have screwed something up. The highest duty rate for bikes/parts is 11% which only applies to bikes with wheel sizes under 25". The fork falls under heading HTS 8714.91.30 which is 3.9% but you could argue that it falls under heading HTS 8714.91.90 which is duty free.

If it was FEDEX or UPS I'd expect it with their brokerage fees but it's unusual with USPS. Most USPS packages pass through customs without even being looked at. Hopefully you can get your money back.
Appreciate the help and the referances.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts