Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

561 - 577 of 577 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm in limbo. I'm waiting for my Hope4 front hub from CRC to lace up my new rim. Then the only thing I'm missing to build my FS bike is the dang frameset. At least I still got a bike to ride with in the meanwhile. I don't think I'm getting my bonus or my health benefit from work this year. If I still have a job by then.... :(

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well I've got stuff in my merlin and my CRC cart... not sure if I should hit order or just wait a few weeks. Merlin seems to ship from Spain, which maker me more worried about anything arriving from them.

·
Registered
634 Posts
well, I made my orders. 2 small ones from CRC, one from merlin. Merlin one will arrive tomorrow (Canada post).

One crc one ordered Friday went Skynet (prepaid tax). One ordered yesterday is going dhl (also prepaid tax). That one has rims. So, not sure if they just swapped to dhl this week, or just cause of the rim, or its random.

In any case, the prepaid option is not "free" shipping right now. It seems to be about $20-30 "shipping" charge, plus the tax. Merlin has altered their free ship policy as well, seems to vary based on size and weight and price (over $500 is free, one tires over $100 is free, but not 2).

So, anyone wanting stuff, seems everything is flowing, but you are going to pay more for shipping it seems.

·
Registered
634 Posts
DHL delivery already here. Skynet still in customs. Merlin one is here.

And, the item I ordered from sport check down the street 2 weeks ago, not here yet. (just a new helmet, so no big deal since I cant go out anyway)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone order a whole bike from CRC recently? The Vitus Mythique VRX is back in stock and I was thinking of buying.Appreciate what your experience has been if you went the prepaid duty route.

·
Registered
637 Posts
From what I've read, assembled bikes have a 13% duty on top of the taxes. Most components, with the exception of the frame are duty free.

You can see if they will ship the wheels separately to pay less duty. It's 6.5% duty on assembled wheels.

Below are the tariff number and the taxes if any for importing bike parts into Canada.

8712.00.00 – Complete Bikes – 13%
8714.91.10 – Frame lugs, bottom bracket shells, forks, fork tubing sets, fork bearing assemblies, hydraulic shock absorbing cylinders, spring shock absorbers, rear pivots, cable stops, cable guides and back, chain and seat stays – 0%
8714.91.90 – Frames and forks and parts thereof, OTHER than the above – 5%
8714.92.00 – Wheel rims and spokes – 0%
8714.93.00 – Hubs, other than coaster braking hubs and hub brakes plus free-wheel sprocket wheels – 0%
8714.94.00 – Brakes, including coaster braking hubs and hub brakes plus parts thereof – 0%
8714.95.00 – Saddles – 0%
8714.96.00 – Pedals and crank-gear, and parts thereof (I’d put chainrings in here too) – 0%
8714.99.10 – Bicycle wheels (I’m assuming assembled) – 6.5%
8714.99.90 – OTHER bike parts – 0%

·
Registered
634 Posts
The complete bike tax also depends on country of origin and price point, though that wouldn't be relevant to a bike as expensive as the vitus (but worth noting anyway, I think bikes under $300ish made in china have more tax).

I don't know what the shipping cost is like on a whole bike. They have altered all the shipping costs to you may be paying more.

I have one more thing on the way from them, just a race face ring and a hope headset. Shipped by Skynet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ask to be notified as I did and within 15 minutes they told me back in stock, so...yes

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,538 Posts
I'm having problems *again* with Chain Reaction arbitrarily changing shipping methods for my orders from Standard Tracked Postal to Skynet. Happened earlier this month with one shipment, so I contacted them and complained.

Initially I got the standard canned response:

"If you choose our standard service we will consider all of the couriers available to us at the point of dispatch, to select the best method to send the order based on weight, dimensions and the value of your order.

Orders will be sent with either standard international air mail (non-tracked) or a tracked courier service, depending on the criteria mentioned above. We cannot advise beforehand which shipping method will be used for an order as this is only decided once the order is ready for dispatch."

I responded back that this is not consistent with what is clearly stated on the website - "Estimated delivery by Canadian Post 8 working days pending customs clearance – Orders over $20 may incur Canadian import duty if they are selected for inspection by Canadian customs" and that it made no sense to offer these options to buyers if the shipping method was just going to be randomly selected.

This time I got someone who understood my concern and offered to reimburse me for my Skynet bill, which they did as promised.

So today 2 more shipments that I made sure had Standard Tracked Postal selected were sent with Skynet! WTF CRC?

·
Rocking on a Rocky
1,628 Posts
Canada Post must be hijacking all inbound shipping now. Ordered from R2bikes last year DHL straight to my house this year DHL straight to Canada Post, Bike 24 same thing. Extra shipping change of $9.99 extra plus PST and GST. Wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't use turtles as delivery vehicles.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Canada Post must be hijacking all inbound shipping now. Ordered from R2bikes last year DHL straight to my house this year DHL straight to Canada Post, Bike 24 same thing. Extra shipping change of $9.99 extra plus PST and GST. Wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't use turtles as delivery vehicles.
DHL is german post. When you send dhl post from germany it gets transfered to canada post, the same as usps does. Everything from bike24 comes dhl "post", so canada post delivers it here. They don't offer any other service.

DHL courier is a different service.

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,538 Posts
CRC seems to have adjusted the pricing on the "Express Duty Paid Shipping" option back to 15% of the value of the shipment, which is reasonable considering the taxes for Ontario are 13%. I've received a few orders recently using this method and they are using either DHL or Skynet as the courier. DHL has been the fastest, 2-3 days and Skynet is more like 5 days.

·
Rocking on a Rocky
1,628 Posts
DHL is german post. When you send dhl post from germany it gets transfered to canada post, the same as usps does. Everything from bike24 comes dhl "post", so canada post delivers it here. They don't offer any other service.

DHL courier is a different service.
Ok thanks. I'm sure DHL dropped a package but maybe it was from Chain Reaction. 9 days to get from Germany to Canada now 1 to 12 days for expected delivery.

561 - 577 of 577 Posts