Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

501 - 520 of 577 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Yep.... Setting aside the issue of potential porch theft, CRC shippers in the past required a signature when I wasn't home... meaning they couldn't leave it.

At least the post office depot is walking distance from my house.

With the other shippers I'd have to find a way to pick it up from a DHL warehouse in Vaughan or something.... before 7 pm.... on a weekday.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Then tell them not to leave it if nobody is home and pick it up from the post office yourself, that's what i do.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Sigh. Ordered something from merlin as well and canada post says delivered to my front door.

Of course, my front door is a large commercial building with many tenants, a receptionist, and its raining. They didn't deliver it at all obviously. they do this sometimes. They don't want to show that they are late, so they scan everything as delivered. it will likely show up later tonight, or tomorrow. OR, its stolen or lost.

Dumbasses.
Because noone's at my house 90% of the time, and therefore the item would never get delivered, or it would get lost or stolen.

The merlin order was prescanned - canada post physically delivered it the next day after they tagged it delivered. Home or office isn't relevant.
Last i checked DHL and Skynet (the 2 services chain reaction uses) had nothing to do with the post office.
Your prior post said Merlin and Canada Post. You were complaining about them leaving it at your work.

That's what i was referring to when i suggested having it shipped to your home.

Canada Post clearly leave door knockers.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Nope, you misread. The merlin problem was that canada post pre-scanned the package without actually delivering it.

When the postal worker lies, it doesn't matter where they were meant to deliver it...

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I got all the packages, so I guess no harm no foul, but it does make me nervous when they do a drop-and-go, either at work or at home, without at least buzzing me to let me know it's been left, and that applies to both CANPOST and the couriers.

To be honest, I mostly wish our Canadian distributors had a bit more reach so I could get more of these obscure things through the LBS

·
Registered
634 Posts
Someone needs to break the bike cartel here. No one seems willing. You have a chain of distribution, which you could argue used to be benificial in the past, that really offers nothing except inflated prices and unreasonable wait times these days.

If i can order a (retail boxed) schwalbe tire from the uk for $50 and get in in 2 days, there's no valid excuse for it to take 3 weeks and cost $139 here.

The dumbest one is ordering blackspire chainrings from CRC for $43, cause the local store takes many weeks and charges $70... for a part made in vancouver!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I was willing to wait. And pay a bit more. But I couldn't get my preferred 26" Racekings at all.

Well, other than buying a new bike with a bigger wheel size.

(Which will be a cold day in hell. :) )

·
Registered
75 Posts
Anyone else noticed that the Duty Paid fees went up like crazy? It used to be 15% when above 75$ (free shipping). Now I have a cart with 123$ worth of stuff and the Duty Paid fee is 38$ (30%). Why did the fee jump from 15% to 30%?

I'm now considering actually splitting my cart in two orders, paying 8$ shipping per order and crossing fingers that I won't get dinged with a customs fee.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Anyone else noticed that the Duty Paid fees went up like crazy? It used to be 15% when above 75$ (free shipping). Now I have a cart with 123$ worth of stuff and the Duty Paid fee is 38$ (30%). Why did the fee jump from 15% to 30%?

I'm now considering actually splitting my cart in two orders, paying 8$ shipping per order and crossing fingers that I won't get dinged with a customs fee.
They're padding things I guess? I bought a frame from the UK direct from the manufacturer and was charged 20% taxes once it arrived.

Take the gamble and pay the duty once it arrives here maybe?

·
Registered
75 Posts
If CRC doesn't change this back to 15% they'll slowly lose my business in favor of Jenson. Jenson charges about 12% on top of shipping to take care of duty fees. Way more reasonable than 30%.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If CRC doesn't change this back to 15% they'll slowly lose my business in favor of Jenson. Jenson charges about 12% on top of shipping to take care of duty fees. Way more reasonable than 30%.
I haven't bought from CRC in ages; or many of the Euro retailers for that matter. The deals just aren't there anymore, plus there seems to be way more restrictions on what they can sell to N.A.. Shimano being blocked for us is one example.

I've been using Jenson and eBay mostly.

·
Registered
642 Posts

I placed an order that came up to $75 with $8 standard (not tracked) shipping and I know there's a 90% chance I will be duty/tax free. Well, Skynet sent me an email yesterday saying I had to pay duty and brokerage amounting to $23.! WTF? I would have just paid the duty shipping fees up front had I known.

I believe they ship it via Skynet anyways even though it was basic standard shipping. I've ordered with this shipping option in the past and never had to pay Skynet brokerage fees. It just took a little longer to arrive. My orders earlier this past spring, duty paid shipping was shipped with DHL and got here in 3days. Now it's Skynet regardless and 4-6 days delivery.

·
Registered
634 Posts
"tax" is hst / gst / pst depending on the province. So, in ontario, it's 13%. So thats "always" added to the full value with prepaid tax. On top of that, there may be a brokerage fee, which i believe is restricted to $10 or $12. So on small orders you will "feel" that charge much more.

Then, there may be some other things. If the package is oversize, like a frame or wheels, it may not have the same basic shipping cost.

Last, you may get dinged for an actual duty. Wheels, frames and complete bikes from china (where most of them are made these days) can incur an additional 6% charge.

A crc order earlier this year was $421 cdn, with $63 "shipping", which equals the tax plus $8.50 brokerage. That was dhl.

Going back a little earlier to january i had an order of $272 plus $40 "shipping". Also dhl.
So thats tax plus $5.50 brokerage.

The skynet order more recently which contained rims was $88 with $13 "shipping". That's makes it the tax plus $1.75.

So, between the 2 shippers, theres a sliding scale going on, but i've never been hit with more than the customary $10. (canada post is always $10).

·
Registered
75 Posts
smashysmash, you're missing my point. All these charges you mention are reasonable but they date back several months. My point is that the prepaid duty fees charge seem to have gone up like crazy very recently. Try it. Put an item you already ordered in your shopping cart and compare the "duty paid" fee to what you paid when you did the same order a few months back. In my case it almost doubled.

I just tried it with a rim that is 109$ (to be above the new 100$ free shipping threshold) to be as similar as possible as your most recent order. The duty paid fee is 34.50$, which is 32%. Quite a bit much more than the 13$ fee you paid recently.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yup. I thought I was seeing things on my last order a week ago when I noticed shipping jumped up quite a bit.

For Shimano and Rockshox parts, I order them from WorldwideCyclery if they're on sale. Those guys "know" how to ship to Canada. If the price is close to or par with local LBS, I just order them locally.

I don't recall the last time I had to pay duty/taxes or handling charge for Canada Post deliveries under $100CDN value, other than for an oversize item.

·
Registered
150 Posts
On top of that, there may be a brokerage fee, which i believe is restricted to $10 or $12.
I doubt that restriction, UPS been known to charge 30-35$CAD brokerage fees for stuff worth 5-10$.
When things are getting complicated (or not ship-able to Canada) - I ship to US and pay whatever I have to on the border, half of the time (3 out of 7 so far in last 2 years) they just let me through without any fees.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't recall the last time I had to pay duty/taxes or handling charge for Canada Post deliveries under $100CDN value, other than for an oversize item.
Hmm, interesting, haven't heard about that 100$CAD threshold.
I paid COD ~5 months ago for order from US shipped with USPS, but it was around 130$US, will try to have few smaller orders next time instead of a single bigger one.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hmm, interesting, haven't heard about that 100$CAD threshold.
I paid COD ~5 months ago for order from US shipped with USPS, but it was around 130$US, will try to have few smaller orders next time instead of a single bigger one.
Yup, I've ordered tons of stuff from the US and Europe for years. So long as you keep the value (not inc shipping) under $100CDN, there a 90+% chance you won't get dinged by Canada Post. Which is why CRC pissed me off on my last order when they shipped it via Skynet Tracking. I paid $30 for brokerage, shipping and duties for just $65 worth of stuff.

·
Registered
890 Posts
It's not quite 30% but prepaid duty has gone up. I just put a $300 jacket I bought in the fall in the basket and prepaid duty is now $65 whereas I paid just over $40 a couple of months ago.

501 - 520 of 577 Posts