Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chain Reaction a good choice for ordering a bike?

• Yes

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 18.5%
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've made my choice to order (at some point in the new future when stock arrives) a Ragley Big Al 1.0. Been looking for distributors here in the eastern US (there's one in New Jersey about ~2 hours from me), but I'm also considering ordering from Chain Reaction. But, I've been looking at reviews and it's not good. For example, Chain Reaction Cycles Reviews - 1.6 Stars really skewers their customer service. What has the general/aggregate history here of folks who have ordered from Chain Reaction? Horror stories or terrific stories, or somewhere in between? Thanks.

·
On wuss patrol
5,048 Posts
I bought some Endura riding shorts from Chain Reaction recently. Shipping was a little slow and costs about $15 extra, but everything arrived as promised.

Shipping a bike box from GB might be kinda pricey, but worth it if the bike isn’t available more locally.

After the purchase, can you rely on local shops for CS/resolving warranty issues?

Reactions: BRnPA

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought a Vitus Mythique from CRC and shipping was quick and the bike was solid. I’ve since placed two orders for parts and a dropper post. I’m waiting on a Big Al myself, will arrive tomorrow, quite excited.

The only criticism I have is I’ve ordered a couple bikes and got emails a day later cancelling the order saying the bike wasn’t in stock. I don’t have a problem with that in this environment, and they did cancel the order a day later instead of two weeks later.

Get stock alerts for any bikes you’re interested in. Check Ragleys Facebook page for stock alerts too, right now appears to be a good time to buy a Ragley as stock is landing now or very soon.

I was about to advise to hold out for the Big Al 1.0 but the specs are quite similar. The only thing you get on the 1.0 is a dropper post ($125 bought separately) and one more gear (11 v 10) in the same group set. You get 4 piston brakes in both versions. I think 2.0 could be the better value, it might boil down to availability or color choice (red v purple) for you.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've ordered a few things from them. Overall I like them. I did have a problem once... ordered a 29er fork, and when I opened the box it was a 27.5. The return from the US to the UK was relatively painless, they paid for the label etc, so I ordered the 29er fork again. Opened the next box, and again, it was a 27.5. Equally painless return, but I wasted some time and it showed me that the nice folks taking your orders are not in the warehouse looking things over.
I gave up on trying to get that fork from them...

That said, since it was painless to deal with their returns, I'd order again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I bought some Endura riding shorts from Chain Reaction recently. Shipping was a little slow and costs about $15 extra, but everything arrived as promised.

Shipping a bike box from GB might be kinda pricey, but worth it if the bike isn’t available more locally.

After the purchase, can you rely on local shops for CS/resolving warranty issues?
According to the Chain Reaction web site, shipping (and duty charges for purchases >$800) is free:
Regarding warranty issues, both Ragley and Chain Reaction agree that warranty claims would go through Chain Reaction (I had asked the same question). Basically everything on the bike is Deore so a local bike shop could do adjustments if I really needed it, though I've been working on my bikes for years and unless it's something major, I could probably adjust/fix it. Thanks. Edit: I just noticed that shipping on "larger items", like bikes, is not free. Shipping costs are calculated once the item is added to the basket. As a test, I added a similar bike that was in stock to my basket and it came in at $140.00 shipping. Not bad for coming from the UK to the US.

·
One ring to mash them all
2,604 Posts
I haven't bought a bike from them but did buy some major components (fork & drive train). Add me to the satisfied customer list.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I've always had a good experience with CR. The shipping times are all over the place though. I've ordered stuff that gets to me in US in a couple of days and I've had stuff that takes a couple of weeks. But as far as negative experiences none.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I ordered a $400 24" Vitus bike for my daughter last year. Incredible value, great geometry etc. It came with 2 sets of pedals (smooth and aggressive), a not so great multi-tool, an OK pedal wrench, touch-up paint and some other small parts. That is more than you get from an expensive brand. Definitely would buy again, even for an adult bike.

For buying direct, you can't be a clumsy person with 2 left hands. You need to be a bit able to adjust something. But this is true for any bike unless you plan to feed the LBS every time you have a flat. I like to think if there is a warranty issue, they send me (or give me credit) the part in question and I'm responsible for installation. Even if they don't do that, the money saved pays for any of the parts that could go wrong. Let's say my above $400 bike would have cost $700at an LBS. So I take the $300difference and if in the first year something brakes that cost less than $300, I'm still ahead. And really, not many things on a bike actually just break on their own.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
They are my go to for tires and other consumables. I've been buying from them for many years. Only issue I've had was a blown up bottle of stans. They gave me discount codes that added up to more than what I paid for the stans. Shipping has always been quick. You can't beat their prices on many tires, brake pads, anything hope, dmr, or pretty much any euro brand. They used to sell shimano stuff so cheap USA shops were buying from them for retail sale. SHimano cut them off because of that.

·
Registered
805 Posts
recently purchased some clothes, took way too long, over two weeks and verse us companies good luck returning things as the shippping costs will be too high. i had good luck in the past but this recent order made me someone who will not use them again.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I got a Ragley from them about a year ago. It came remarkably quickly, was very well packaged, and perfectly set up which I didn't expect from mail order. I'd order from them again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a Vitus Mythique from CRC and shipping was quick and the bike was solid. I’ve since placed two orders for parts and a dropper post. I’m waiting on a Big Al myself, will arrive tomorrow, quite excited.

The only criticism I have is I’ve ordered a couple bikes and got emails a day later cancelling the order saying the bike wasn’t in stock. I don’t have a problem with that in this environment, and they did cancel the order a day later instead of two weeks later.

Get stock alerts for any bikes you’re interested in. Check Ragleys Facebook page for stock alerts too, right now appears to be a good time to buy a Ragley as stock is landing now or very soon.

I was about to advise to hold out for the Big Al 1.0 but the specs are quite similar. The only thing you get on the 1.0 is a dropper post ($125 bought separately) and one more gear (11 v 10) in the same group set. You get 4 piston brakes in both versions. I think 2.0 could be the better value, it might boil down to availability or color choice (red v purple) for you.
Big Al 1.0 vs. Big Al 2.0 - Yeah, I had thought about it. But, I have not purchased a mountain bike in 30 years (really!) so my thought is to side with the 1.0 and get the Marzocchi Bomber Z2, one extra gear, and I DO love the red, so I'm really paying for the front shock and extra gear. Did I say I love the red color? :)

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Big Al 1.0 vs. Big Al 2.0 - Yeah, I had thought about it. But, I have not purchased a mountain bike in 30 years (really!) so my thought is to side with the 1.0 and get the Marzocchi Bomber Z2, one extra gear, and I DO love the red, so I'm really paying for the front shock and extra gear. Did I say I love the red color? :)
Good choice. I'd definitely take the Marz' Z2 for the bit of extra money. That's a very rad bike.

I really dig my Marley a whole lot. It's quite amazing for the money.

·
passed out in your garden
2,844 Posts
fruck you crunts !!!
now l know why l cant a Big Al frame at the moment, stop it cause l want one......

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
I've been using crc for years. Usually ships and arrives faster than my lbs can order from their local supplier.

I bought 8 easton arc27's for $19 each last year! These are about $90 everywhere else. Not sure what the story is, but during non covid normal times they often run insane sales.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yup, totally forgot you get the Z2 fork with the higher spec bike. For that reason alone I'd go with the 1.0, and in fact I did. It gets here tomorrow!

I bought my first CRC bike in July and I did not pay shipping. For the Ragley I had to pay $138 shipping, Covid related inflation I guess.

·
Registered
244 Posts
fruck you crunts !!!
now l know why l cant a Big Al frame at the moment, stop it cause l want one......
If you believe the Ragley Facebook page, their entire line will come in stock throughout April.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts