Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new chain for my GF Tassajara and I have a couple questions. 1. Are the chains at the dept stores any different/worse than ones at the LBS. 2. What size of chain do I need, are they all standard or what? 3. I was thinking of getting an extra link to carry around at all times in case I break one, is there a differnce in those? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Not all chains are the same - the number of gears you have will determine what chain you need.

If you have 9speed (likely) you will need a 9/10 speed chain.

Not being american its hard to make a statement about where you buy it from - but its possible to say that spending a little more on a stronger (but not uberlight) chain is a good idea.

Personally, I'd very highly recommend the KMC X9 ti-ni chain (ok, its fairly expensive as non-superlight chains go, but very very durable, and should last a long time if regularly lubed up).

With spare links - go for KMC Magiclinks :)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The only chains I've seen in department stores didn't seem to specify how many gears they are for. This determines the thickness of the chain. I like the SRAM chains myself. I don't like Shimano's non-reusable pins, and the stock KMC chain had some sticky stuff packed on it from the factory that was a dirt magnet and a nightmare to clean off. Make sure you size the chain properly, most likely you'll have to remove a few links. See parktool.com for help if you need it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
go to a local bike store, and you can get everything you need for under $2. i just had to replace a chain for the first time and i went to my lbs, and i told them what bike i had (one that they dont carry btw) and they gave me the proper chain, and told me to get a chain tool, and told me how to change it out, all in all it cost me like $23, and now i have a few spair links from shorteing my chan, and i have a chain tool, so just go to your lbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.