Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I give up. what is a SRAM chain and how is it different than the run of the mill chain? do I need a certain type of gears or chain set to use it or is it universal?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You didn't try very hard. SRAM is just a brand name, they market a variety of chains; other major brand examples are Shimano, KMC, and Wipperman. There are a few different types and widths. What are you looking for?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just see adds for sram. never thought it was a brand name. my error. what i saw made it seem like a different type of chain. like the difference between disk and v brakes. maybe it had some superior advantage or something. anyway...thanks for the answer.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
momoe said:
i just see adds for sram. never thought it was a brand name. my error. what i saw made it seem like a different type of chain. like the difference between disk and v brakes. maybe it had some superior advantage or something. anyway...thanks for the answer.
Why would other than a brand name advertise? Some get all excited over the fact that a SRAM chain comes with a snap type link connector (I think the SRAM name for it is Power Link or something); this is generally as opposed to a replacement link pin like comes with a Shimano chain. You can use that type of snap link on other chains, including Shimano, and other manufacturers make them too, though, so it's not all that special. Generally just match the chain to the number of speeds on your rear cassette, as the more speeds the narrower the chain.

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
a 9spd chain is a 9spd chain is a 9spd chain. Many manufactures make 9sp chains (and 8 or 10spd). SRAM is just one of the manufactures. Both shimano and SRAM make chains at different price points. Generally the more expensive ones have better corrosion protection and in some cases are lighter (hollow pins).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.