Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using SRAM PC58's for several years on my SS's and have not had any problems. (Haven't broken any and the stretch over time seems reasonable).

The question is: Are there any advantages to running either a track chain or SRAM's Single speed chain (PC-1 Nickel) Will I need to get a different (thicker) chain ring and cog ? If I use the cog / ring I now have will there be too much side to side slop with the wider chain.

The long story:

I am about to enter a hill climb and was wondering if I shouldn't find a more robust chain. Most bmx bikes run a 1/8 x 1/2 or a track bike chain. So I thought I would look into it. First I noticed that the cogs / chain rings on a BMX bike are thicker than what comes stock on SS specific cranks and even the King cogs.

So, I thought I would play the dumb blonde (not too hard to do) and go around to a couple LBS's to research this. One LBS says run the 1/8 by 1/2. The local BMX specialty shop says 1/8 x 1/2 chains are crap (lower grade steel, poor bushings) and to just run an 8 speed chain. Funny thing is, he didn't have an answer when I asked why all the bikes on his floor were set up with 1/8 x 1/2. So I turn to you, the great masses for enlightenment.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I run a PC-1 with 3/32 ring and freewheel. there is a little slop but not too much. Haven't dropped a chain since I put it on. There have been lots of posts about strength testing and what not recently. The consensus seems to be PC-1, PC-7X, PC-58, most are pretty damn strong.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i noitced my pc-1 seemed to wear faster on my commuter than the pc-58 it replaced and has since been replaced by.

but it's a cheaper chain, so maybe that makes them equal all things considered. i never had any trouble with the play or it dropping on me.

and not to thread jack, but anyone use the shimano ig-90 chains? i just picked up three cause nashbar was blowin em out.... look good so far (in the box) and i think i remember running one on my geary once and being pretty happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.