Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you guys have probably listed this a lot and some debate probably has sprung up. I have been using White Lightning for years...is there anything better I should consider? For years I only used white lithium grease. I thought it worked fine as long as I pressure washed it hot every month and then reapplied. But it was easier back then compared to the White lighting. That stuff is messy! However it works well. Just looking for a cleaner application that works as well. It takes a while to kill a large 11 dollar bottle of white lightning. But I think I probably wasted 1/3 of it on the cement.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,765 Posts
billions of threads on this topic already, and it seems like each one of those billion people has a favorite. Use the search function and you'll find plenty to read.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Where do you live? What do you ride? How far do you ride? How often do you clean your bike? Your chain? Do you wipe your chain? Degreaser? Use a chain cleaning contraption?

I ride in dusty SoCal. Rarely ride in wet. Wash my bike about every 2 rides. Wipe the dust from my chain and relube after every ride. Fully clean (degreaser and chain cleaning contraption) my chain after 10 rides. My rides are usually 15-20mi each.

Currently using Finish Line Ceramic wax as well. Chain stays quiet and pretty clean. Wipe dust off after ride and reapply with a wipe down. Easily can go 2+ rides without reapplying and have done a 45mi ride in silence with it. I have used Rock 'n Roll Gold. It cleans better between full cleanings but doesn't last as many trail miles. I've also used Tri Flow Superior, but, it doesn't last as long as wax here and is messier.

btw, i liked the FL Ceramic so much that i bought the 32oz jug. I am stocked up for years to come and can waste as much as i want. lol.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
None, I have a belt drive.

Ok, I have a couple chain drives too and use Rock N Roll Extreme (the blue stuff).

Rock-N-Roll-Lubrication-4OZ.jpg

·
Registered
973 Posts
Finish Line Ceramic Wax on a KMC X10SL chain wrapped around XT crank/chain rings and a XT cassette...chain stays clean as advertised but I do reapply every 20ish miles... :cool: drivetrain is super quiet, super clean, and it shifts awesome :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,185 Posts
Seminal fluid works best. Get to it! Why? Because only a jack off would ask this question, that has been asked a billion times.
MCS at his finest.
I just wanted to quote that post so it goes down in history. I'm sure your grandchildren will love it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where do you live? What do you ride? How far do you ride? How often do you clean your bike? Your chain? Do you wipe your chain? Degreaser? Use a chain cleaning contraption?

I ride in dusty SoCal. Rarely ride in wet. Wash my bike about every 2 rides. Wipe the dust from my chain and relube after every ride. Fully clean (degreaser and chain cleaning contraption) my chain after 10 rides. My rides are usually 15-20mi each.

Currently using Finish Line Ceramic wax as well. Chain stays quiet and pretty clean. Wipe dust off after ride and reapply with a wipe down. Easily can go 2+ rides without reapplying and have done a 45mi ride in silence with it. I have used Rock 'n Roll Gold. It cleans better between full cleanings but doesn't last as many trail miles. I've also used Tri Flow Superior, but, it doesn't last as long as wax here and is messier.

btw, i liked the FL Ceramic so much that i bought the 32oz jug. I am stocked up for years to come and can waste as much as i want. lol.
Live in Norther Utah. This is my commuter I am mainly asking on. Rides are about 11 miles a day on the street. My mountain biking is about every 2 weeks or so on Saturdays and range to about 7-14 miles.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,185 Posts
I've tried many of them.

My favorites are:

1] Finish Line which I'm currently using.
2] Rock & Roll Extreme then Gold

·
Registered
663 Posts
I know you guys have probably listed this a lot and some debate probably has sprung up. I have been using White Lightning for years...is there anything better I should consider? For years I only used white lithium grease. I thought it worked fine as long as I pressure washed it hot every month and then reapplied. But it was easier back then compared to the White lighting. That stuff is messy! However it works well. Just looking for a cleaner application that works as well. It takes a while to kill a large 11 dollar bottle of white lightning. But I think I probably wasted 1/3 of it on the cement.
If you like White Lightning I'd give Squirt lube a try. It seems to last a bit longer than White Lightning and do a better with occasional wet conditions. It still tends to build up a bit and require occasional cleaning of build-up much like White Lightning.

I'm a fan of dry chain lubes and find that most "dry" lubes really just dry to a paste instead of actually drying like White Lightning or Squirt. paraffin wax is good but annoying to apply. Where I live, North Eastern Alberta, the conditions are very dry and dusty so anything that isn't completely dry will attract dirt.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,765 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
uh...please provide the forum your banana "lube" procedure...I consume a couple 'nanas a day...possibly they could be put to better use than simply eating them?...duh

·
Colorado
410 Posts
I ride in very dry conditions, and have been using White Lightning for years with great results. Just need to reapply frequently. It's terrible for wet conditions, so I always take a wet lube on road trips if I think it may be wet...but it's perfect for my area.

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts