Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Unpredictable
2,213 Posts
Rock n Roll "extreme" Used lightly it's a lube. Used properly it is a clean and lube - douse it on and then run the chain through your best towel and it's cleaned and lubed (the chain). $12.50 Aus at the LBS. Really great stuff.

·
DWlink Fanboy
201 Posts
prolink

I use prolink. It really seems to shed the trail gunk and keeps the chain fairly dry.

Here's a picture right after a very muddy ride. You cannot see much of the chain, but the part you can see is pretty clean (alot cleaner than the rest of the bike)

·
Registered
59 Posts
That prolink stuff works as i see a very clean chain.
I use WD40, not especially developed for mountainbikes or so, but it's cheap and does the work. You can spray it on (sort of oil), but you must be careful not spray too much.:)

·
More Torque
2,037 Posts
I like Pedro's Ice Wax for the mountain bike (dry conditions) and Prolink Gold for the road bike.

I'd be careful with the WD40; I've heard that it is designed primarily as a penetrant and a rust-protectant, and that it's lubricating qualities are not very good. Anecdotal for sure, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I was using White Lightning until last spring when I rode Hornby Island which is off the coast of BC. The local bike shop, which is the smallest I have ever seen ( 15'x30') recommended PG1000. They said that this was the lube that the Canadian mountain bike team uses. I really like it and the key is to apply liberally and wipe until no lube is on your rag. What I have noticed is that I can get in way more rides between lubes. My friends who still us WL lube every ride.

Straw

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yes, even though it has a little bit of oil in it, WD40 really isn't a proper lubricant - especially not for high stress areas like chains. The "WD" stands for Water Displacer, and it's actually very good for cleaning off old lube off bicycle and motorcycle chains because it has so much solvent in it.

I typically use white lightning since I'm in very dry conditions in So Cal - it works for me and I really appreciate avoiding the nastiness of oils and greases that pick up every speck of dirt in sight.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I'm currently testing a new lube called "Squirt"... here...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=473370

It works very well. I was using Rock 'N Roll and Pro Gold for a long time, but this new Squirt lube seems to be even better so far. I'm really impressed with it. Excellent in the dry and very good in the wet, too.
It's a wax based formula, biodegradable dry type lube with a high wax content. It keeps my chain on the Mojo very clean and smooth working, is easy to apply, and doesn't need to be degreased every time you use it.
Have a look and give it a try. It really seems to work very well.

Rainman.

t1deep said:
whats your favorite lube
a friend of mine says use wax "white lightning" my lbs says use oil "pedros"
what do you think???

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
I keep thinking I could raise banana slugs. Their slime surely must make a good chain lubricant.

Prolink is like water. And I almost all of these things are hideous toxins. I swear the banana slug thing is going to pan out.

Oh no, this is my 999th post. I'll have to make the best of it. As you can see, I'm already working on the banana slug process.

·
boba
133 Posts
Homemade Chain Lube formula

I Hate to be frugal, but I get the heebie/jeevies paying some bikeshop about $12.00 for a few ounces of some high-tech, snake oil concoction that is worth about 45 cents.

For a few years, I have used a recession-proof, "mixture" of used or new motorcyle transmission lubricant or automotive transfer case oil. The blue "GM" transfer case oil works well and it is about $4.00 a quart .... Buy some soon, as it may be a collectors item in a few months.

I put a few onces of the oil into an old, 6oz bike chain lube container and spray into it about 10% WD 40. The WD 40 tends thin the mixture allowing good penetration, but but evaporates away.

As I mentioned, I use an old bike chain lube container with a nice nozzle to oil the chain and then wipe off the excess. This mixture is good for a few rides and my chain stays clean as does the cassette. If it is wet, I oil the chain before each ride. The cost for two Ibis bikes, used twice a week in harsh condtions...about $5.00 a year.

Bob, Comox.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
White Lightning Epic is my go-to for all- around use.
Of course, the main thing to consider is where you ride, what those conditions are. Here in Colorado things are typically pretty dry and the EPIC works pretty well in our dusty landscape, and even puts up a pretty good fight in the odd creek crossing. For particularly wet conditions they make a "wet" lube that does what it says.
Rock-n-Roll is a great all-around choice.
Of course, the main ingredients in both these brands are volatile hydrocarbons..... so if you have a problem with the widespread use of aromatic hydrocarbons and their widely publicized carcinogenic and other nasty effects you might have an ethical problem with these and choose something a little more green like Pedros.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Givet said:
... I use WD40, not especially developed for mountainbikes or so, but it's cheap and does the work. You can spray it on (sort of oil), but you must be careful not spray too much.:)
Yeiks!? How long does your chain last? WD-40 was produced to displace water and prevent rust... not as a lube per-se.

I use TriFlow (bottle, not spray)... but I've been experimenting with Amsoil 100% synthetic motor oil and gear oil... very wet conditions lately with good results... and a quart wold last a life time!

·
Registered
71 Posts
In dry to moderate conditions I ude Dumond Tech Lite. The stuff runs really quiet, and is easy to clean. I apply it every 1-3 rides depending on the conditions. As a side benefit I think it smells like gorgonzola cheese. mmm. Makes me hungry for Italian.. ha!

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
No one asked the OP what conditions he/she rides in and what riding style he/she has.

PS- wd40 is a lubricant, contrary to what many are saying here, BUT it's only a light duty lubricant, which is why you can spray it on door hinges and they won't squeak. It has extremely poor shear and mechanical pressure characteristics and furthermore, doesn't stick well to parts, unlike other lubes with polar side chains and molecule sizes that allow them to penetrate into surface ports and stick tightly to adjacent oil molecules.

·
No dabs.
320 Posts
I second, errrr third, Dumond Tech. Far superior than anything I've tried. Silent and clean.

Pass on the White Lightning. It lasts about half a ride before needing more. The Epic blend is far better, but sometimes hard to find. In my experience TriFlow, T9, etc. seem to attract about twice the gunk as the Dumond stuff.

I actually discovered the Dumond Tech when I was demo'ing a Mojo. I was blown away by how quiet and how looong I could ride with no problem. I asked what the shop used, and have been putting it on since.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.