Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having a problem recently riding in the very dry and dusty conditions at Montaña de Oro state park, where 5-10 miles into my ride, the drivetrain gets very noisy from excessive fine dust.

I'm running Rock n' Roll Gold chain lube, and trying my best to let it properly dry in advance, wiping the chain clean etc. to no avail. It seems like my chain-guide might be the catalyst/source of noise, but I'm curios if any forum members with similar conditions could recommend a better lube or any other tricks to keep things running smoothly?

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,081 Posts
There are non-wax alternatives that are not heavy oils, Boeshield, Dumonde Tech, etc. R&R is wax. Wax lubes work ok in some conditions, but I find those conditions are much more limited than the other types of lubes.

· Combat Wombat
1,883 Posts
It gets very dry and dusty here in Oklahoma during this time of the year. Based on what I read about DuMond Tech on Guitar Ted's blog, I decided to give it a try. Only got about 4 rides on it, but so far it seems to be working as advertised and my chain is staying nice and clean.

· Big M, Little organ.
295 Posts
I know this isn’t the easy answer but hot wax. I tried it a couple years ago and will never do anything else. My riding is 95% dust. Some trails are talcum-like dust over everything.

It’s not bad if you get a crock pot and do a few chains at a time. One of the best things I’ve ever done to my bikes. I have used just about every “dry” chain lube on the market.

· Registered
2,773 Posts
My 2 preferences are Squirt and Dumonde Tech light.
Just about finished a bottle of the Dumonde but have purchased a 2nd bottle. Before that I've used about 4 bottles of Squirt. I maintain 2 bikes. I used to have a road bike and it also saw Squirt.

I have fine dust here all summer and there are times I ride in moon dust. I expect it to require additional maintenance and I generally start with a clean drivetrain before riding the moon dust situations. But with my dry conditions here I generally brush off the chain for the next ride, regardless.
There might be something out there that fends it off better but I am okay with the slight amount of maintenance due to the conditions in which I live.

I will lube the chain the evening before and cycle the cranks 4-rotations through the next few hours, alternating between back pedal and forward pedal. I wipe the chain down if it has been many hours since application. Otherwise it is wiped in the morning. I generally wipe it again in the morning though just to ensure all is dry, making it less of a dirt magnet.

· Registered
527 Posts
I'm with Organ above, I ride in Arizona so pretty much all dry and dusty and switched to wax last year to try and I'm never going back to a regular lube, I love how clean my drivetrain is on all my bikes. I have 2 chains for all my bikes so I can just swap when it's time then do both chains at once, way easier that way.
For a regular tools lube I had good luck with Smoove before I started waxing my chains

· Registered
8,460 Posts
I layer in those conditions.

After ride clean and put on a wax lube. Let it dry. Before your ride put on a layer of a wet lube.

You should get 30 to 40km before needing to relube

· Registered
8,460 Posts
That last is sort of asking for the problem the OP is trying to solve.
Have you tried it with a wax layer as a base?

I live in the super dry BC interior. This is the only combination I have found that gives any kind of lubrication with durability. Dry lube is just a waste of time, it has hardly any lubrication properties to it at all.

· This place needs an enema
17,703 Posts
Have you tried it with a wax layer as a base?

I live in the super dry BC interior. This is the only combination I have found that gives any kind of lubrication with durability. Dry lube is just a waste of time, it has hardly any lubrication properties to it at all.
Nope, I haven't.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Nope, I haven't.
Give it a go next time you are riding in those conditions. It took me a while to find a combination that works but that seems to be best. I think it is because the wet lube lubricates and the wax base layer helps shed the dirt. Your chain is still totally dry at the end of the ride but the bike doesn't sound like it is breaking in half part way through the ride.

· This place needs an enema
17,703 Posts
Give it a go next time you are riding in those conditions. It took me a while to find a combination that works but that seems to be best. I think it is because the wet lube lubricates and the wax base layer helps shed the dirt. Your chain is still totally dry at the end of the ride but the bike doesn't sound like it is breaking in half part way through the ride.
6 months of the year I have those conditions.

I use Rock 'n Roll, applied liberally to a clean, dry chain after every ride, then wiped clean before the next.

The only time this has disappointed is if the moon dust is punctuated with many, many stream crossings where you can't keep the chain dry.

· Registered
881 Posts
Wax bath or Smoove. Or wax bath with a Smoove top-off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This^ Smoove last longer than other "drip on dry lubes" I have tried and doesn't collect much dirt. It is supposed to deal with occasional stream crossings, but I haven't had much opportunity to test that out.

I had also tried Squirt (didn't even last a whole ride for me) after running wet lubes like rock&roll gold in months long dust conditions, and started looking for something else since the wet lubes would collect a bunch of gunk on the chain etc.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.