Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not even sure that's what i mean but i'll ask anyway. we have 2 bikes, both 3x7 setups. my bike will backpedal in all 3 gears through all 7 gears with no problem....... wifes bike won't backpedal in 3-1. the chain wants to drop down to 2nd or even 3rd gear. the other 2 front gears are all ok, no problem.

any thoughts?

mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i'll start with the front. #3 is the large front gear and #1 is the big rear gear. i know it's a bit of cross? chaining but this works fine on my bike and not hers.

i'm often told i'm not clear in describing things so if i'm still not clear please ask again for clarity and i'l do my best again.

mark

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
There are lots of things that could cause that so it's a hard one to diagnose via words. A dirty drivetrain and/or sticky freehub are 2 very common causes. Others include bent derailleur hanger, bent derailleur, bent/bad chain, worn drivetrain components, poor chainline and many other things. I'd start by making sure everything is clean and well lubed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i thought so on some of those ideas and will look into the others that i can't fix myself. thanks for the help,

mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts