Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far off can the chain line be before it poses a threat? This is a pure curiosity question, no crooked chain for me, but I've just always wondered ya know? I thought about getting a dingle for my fixed gear so I could commute with the 17t and play bike polo with the 19t, but wouldn't like the double chainring up front (so I probably won't get the dingle). But would I be able to just space it out so the "proper" chain line is right in the middle of the cogs and I can run the chain to each cog only being slightly off?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,311 Posts
sasquatch rides a SS said:
How far off can the chain line be before it poses a threat? This is a pure curiosity question, no crooked chain for me, but I've just always wondered ya know? I thought about getting a dingle for my fixed gear so I could commute with the 17t and play bike polo with the 19t, but wouldn't like the double chainring up front (so I probably won't get the dingle). But would I be able to just space it out so the "proper" chain line is right in the middle of the cogs and I can run the chain to each cog only being slightly off?
Exactly 3.6 degrees or 1%.

--sParty

P.S. I just made that up. Sounds good though, doesn't it?

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
sasquatch rides a SS said:
At 1mm, it's a code blue.
At 2mm, it's a code maroon.
At 5mm, it's code purple.
At 6mm, it's getting dangerous. Like, kinda-deranged-lookin' dangerous.
At 8mm, that deranged look now has a gun.
At 10mm, it's got nukes.
At 15mm, well.... you don't wanna go there....

Why not just do a flip flop hub?

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
This has to be the first bike polo related question for the SSers, yes? Despite how dumb bike polo looks, I'm sure it is fun because it involves mallets and bikes.

I've done a couple things on dingles. On my mtb, I had my basic ratio in perfect alignment and when I used the bike around town, the chainline would get ****ed. It wasn't bad.

When I've split the two, I made the spacer be the perfect chainline so both ratios were barely off. Again, not a huge deal.

there have been lazy times in my torrid past when I threw a ss together without much regard to anything but speed, and the chainline was terrible. This becomes a huge problem if you are mashing, etc. Lost chains really, really suck.

Also, a taut chain at an angle probably causes premature wear in addition to horrible noises.

This is your answer, or 42.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just run two chainrings. In polo - which I play as well - your chain is bound to come off. It doesn't matter if you are using a chain tensioner, chain guides, or whatever. It's gonna come off. And if you're chainline is ****, then say bye-bye to to your chain. Also, I don't know about round there, but most us play with just a rear brake around here and if you're wheel is in a constant different place in your drop out, you're brake is sure to not line up.

PS: dingle or fixed/fixed hub. Or run freewheel of a larger size to court, that'll also be a lot faster.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you know what perfect chainline sounds/feels like, you can easily notice the difference if it is even .5mm out... that said, IME anything within < 2mm usually works fine, and it is tough to get closer than that without digital calipers and a stack of really thin spacers.

One thing: if it is going to be slightly out, it is better for the cog to be inboard of the chainring. Pedal pressure will then tend to pull the cog and chainring into line as the chainstays and bottom bracket flex under load.

·
Registered
390 Posts
if you hate the idea of 2 chainrings that much & can't get a single ring/dingle cog set-up sorted out you might consider...
white industries makes a double chainring that comes in a couple different tooth combos. it is kind of meant to use in conjunction with their dos eno double freewheel but i can't see why it wouldn't do the job with a dingle cog. that ernesto guy that peddled wi stuff used to sell them here before he f**ked-up but it's got to be available somewhere else in this big ol' world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.