Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i got a killer deal on a half complete SS project. Not sure if the owner posts on this forum. Well i am trying to finish the project.

It is a trek 930 frame with a bmx freewheel (unfamiliar with these types of wheels). No the problem is the chain line. Can these bmx freewheels be spaced so that they situate urther from the hub? Because from the looks of it if i space the chainwheel in further towards the frame it might hit the chainstay. So i am guessing i won't have a perfectly straight chainline. is this ok?

I am using a old derailleur for a chain tensioner.

thanks

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
how

bayarearider said:
Well i got a killer deal on a half complete SS project. Not sure if the owner posts on this forum. Well i am trying to finish the project.

It is a trek 930 frame with a bmx freewheel (unfamiliar with these types of wheels). No the problem is the chain line. Can these bmx freewheels be spaced so that they situate urther from the hub? Because from the looks of it if i space the chainwheel in further towards the frame it might hit the chainstay. So i am guessing i won't have a perfectly straight chainline. is this ok?

I am using a old derailleur for a chain tensioner.

thanks
I don't know much about special-made boutique yuppie singlespeed hubs. I use either cassette hubs with one cog and a lot of spacers, or threaded hubs designed for multispeed freewheels. If that's what you got, a singlespeed freewheel on a multispeed hub, what you need to do is move some or all of the R side spacers to the L side of the axle, which will shift the freewheel further outboard. Play with the spacers, usually it's a number of small spacers rather than one long one, to find the combination that positions the freewheel where it needs to be. Once you get that sorted out, then you need to redish the wheel to move the rim to the L so it once again centers between the locknuts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply bulC. But i am still not sure if i have a yuppie wheel you are referring to. I decided to just post a picture of it and see what i can do.

Does this wheel need to be redished to bring the freewheel out about .25" - .5" ?
IF yes...how involved is dishing a wheel? I have never trued a wheel before.

thanks

·
Medium?
6,728 Posts
It will work

without a perfect chainline. Think about it. Your gearie rarely has a perfect chainline.

Put it together with the ring in the "middle ring" position. There's no reason it should hit the chainstay. It's the same as when it was a gearie. You could ride it forever just like this, regardless of the chainline.

Now that you're rolling, take a steel straight edge, lay it on the chainring with no chain on it, and see how far off your chainline is. If it's more than a couple mm, I'd be surprised. If you want to space your ring inboard from the crank, you can get 3mm spacers from your LBS. Maybe others too. When it's together, you can measure the distance between the ring and the stay and see if you've got room to space it how you want. You could also get a narrower bottom bracket to serve the same purpose. If you don't already have a new bb, this is a better option.

If you get it all together, and your chainline is off by 1/2" or something, then the hub spacing is wrong. This means that the hub is not an SS hub, but an old freewheel hub that's been respaced incorrectly. If this happens, you'll have to figure out how the spacing works, and redish the wheel. Hopefully this won't come up.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Better late than never

bayarearider said:
Thanks for the reply bulC. But i am still not sure if i have a yuppie wheel you are referring to. I decided to just post a picture of it and see what i can do.

Does this wheel need to be redished to bring the freewheel out about .25" - .5" ?
IF yes...how involved is dishing a wheel? I have never trued a wheel before.

thanks
When I saw this post I remembered a threaded spacer I saw on Ebay. Here it is . Your hub was designed for a spin on cog cluster not a BMX free wheel. This sucker should space out the threads for a better chain line.

1G1G, Brad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts