Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my rear derailer. Deore LX M570 with a Deore LX M580. LBS said it was the same derailer, just a longer cage. Also am replacing the chain. How many more links should I add to compensate for the extra cage length? Is there a website that has pictures of what the derailer should look like on a certain gear/chainring combination. Or is there some rule of thumb?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml#chain

there ya go
KJN185 said:
I just replaced my rear derailer. Deore LX M570 with a Deore LX M580. LBS said it was the same derailer, just a longer cage. Also am replacing the chain. How many more links should I add to compensate for the extra cage length? Is there a website that has pictures of what the derailer should look like on a certain gear/chainring combination. Or is there some rule of thumb?

Thanks in advance.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
A longer cage derailleur shouldn't require any additional chain length. It just adds more chain wrap capacity so you can maintian tension over a larger gear range. So if your chain was correctly sized before, the new one should be the same. It's best to just do the big ring, big cog, no derailleur, add 1" method to be sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.