Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Switched from a long to med cage rear derailer. With the suspension fully compressed does the big/big rings + 2 links still apply or must I shorten the chain to compensate for the med cage?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
youll need to shorten the chain for optimum performance. big cog to biggest ring + 1 link is my rule. ill assume yer runnin nuthin more than a 34/34 with a med cage but yer "bib/big" comment makes me worry. if ya still have a 44 up front, someones made a critical mistake and youll have a big repair bill in yer near future when that shorter cage limits chain wrap and starts tearin parts off and otherwise killin those it doesnt.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cactuscorn said:
youll need to shorten the chain for optimum performance. big cog to biggest ring + 1 link is my rule. ill assume yer runnin nuthin more than a 34/34 with a med cage but yer "bib/big" comment makes me worry. if ya still have a 44 up front, someones made a critical mistake and youll have a big repair bill in yer near future when that shorter cage limits chain wrap and starts tearin parts off and otherwise killin those it doesnt.
I do have 44T but was told that if I avoid bad gear combos it would be fine , even better. With that said, is it still big/big +2?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
if yer gonna run a 44 and a med cage, id say a extra 2 links wont hurt but it sure as hell wont save ya when ya make a mistake and trust me, thats gonna happen no matter how careful you are. not sure i understand the "even better" advice. no offence but youve been misled or ya misunderstood here. all its gonna do is create drag and tension, eventually leading to a long walk home. consider swappin it for a long cage before ya ride it. yer cogs, chain, rings, both ders, hanger, r wheel, r tri and drive side crank will thank you. any decent wrench woulda stongly advised against this, for what its worth.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cactuscorn said:
if yer gonna run a 44 and a med cage, id say a extra 2 links wont hurt but it sure as hell wont save ya when ya make a mistake and trust me, thats gonna happen no matter how careful you are. not sure i understand the "even better" advice. no offence but youve been misled or ya misunderstood here. all its gonna do is create drag and tension, eventually leading to a long walk home. consider swappin it for a long cage before ya ride it. yer cogs, chain, rings, both ders, hanger, r wheel, r tri and drive side crank will thank you. any decent wrench woulda stongly advised against this, for what its worth.
Thanks for the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.