Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I've installed a new 11-28 cassette on my TX (old was 11-34) and was just going to cut my new chain using the big ring/big cog +2 rule.

But I thought I'd check the park tools site to confirm. They mention that for some bikes with a rear suspension the big-big method may not work properly due to rear end travel.

What's the best way to measure up the new chain length?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You will need to do the big-big +2 rule while the shock has no air and you cycle the suspension to find the point when the chain length is the most. IIRC, its near shock bottom out.

Can't tell you off the top of my head what the difference in 6 less teeth will impact on your chain length though. I can tell you that you have better lungs then me - I need everyone of those 34 teeth on my rear cassette!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wmodavis said:
Do a forum search. It's been covered many times.
I didn't find one for the TX suspension, and as each type of rear suspension has different tracking arcs for the rear hub, each one should be, in theory, different. However......

wheatgerm said:
You will need to do the big-big +2 rule while the shock has no air and you cycle the suspension to find the point when the chain length is the most. IIRC, its near shock bottom out.
Thanks, yeah, I was trying to find where the length would be the most on the TX suspension. It seems that the difference is minor and given that the chain has to be shortened in 1" increments, fine measurements get lost.....so big/big +2 seems to be fine.....maybe +1 more....maybe not....

wheatgerm said:
I can tell you that you have better lungs then me
......Or I have small hills......;)

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
civil said:
It seems that the difference is minor
I wouldn't count on it, Maestro doesn't have the ridiculous amount of chain growth that older VPP models do but when I checked my 08 ordinary Trance to put the Alfine hub on there I found that the chain growth increases right up to full travel and there was enough to cause the tensioner to hit the Alfine cable intake just before full travel, other suspension design have reduced chain growth to 8mm but clearly not Giant. Lucky I rarely need full travel and it does no real damage…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.