Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have dropped my big chainring and switched to a medium cage rear derailleur.
i took one segment of my chain out, but am wondering if i should chance taking out another.

in the first seconds of the video i am in small/small gears and there is still a little bit of slack. in the last few seconds i am in big/big.
does this amount of slack look acceptable? i don't want to pull out another link and then suddenly see my rear derailleur stretched like a mf when i goto the 32 front.
highly doubt i will spend much time in either of these specific gear combos

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It looks like you can take out another link or 2. Shouldn't be slack like that at all on the top portion.

Side note, how do you like that bike? Rocky Mountain was a bike I was looking at.

Also, sorry about your bunny.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hey mike just put your chain on the largest chainring, and biggest rear cog, and pull the chain tight with no derailleur slack. See what length that would be, then add two links to that, and that is your finished length. Just long enough it won't cause a bind.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Disconnect your chain, deflate and bottom out your shock, wrap the chain around the large chain ring and large sprocket skipping the rear derailleur cage altogether. When the links touch, add two additional links.
That is the proper length of your chain. After you cut/size it, run the chain through the rear derailleur as normal and connect your chain. Re-inflate your shock. You should be good to go.

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i took 2 more links out and it seems to be good.. a bit tight in the big/big, but not so much that the derailleur is standing straight out. im good to ride this afternoon finally (my previous chainbreaker actually broke,, the punching pin cracked right off, but now i have a park one)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Disconnect your chain, deflate and bottom out your shock, wrap the chain around the large chain ring and large sprocket skipping the rear derailleur cage altogether. When the links touch, add two additional links.
That is the proper length of your chain. After you cut/size it, run the chain through the rear derailleur as normal and connect your chain. Re-inflate your shock. You should be good to go.
^This.

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it was fine this afternoon with the new length..

WEIRD karma paid forward today though.
about a month ago i broke my chain while out on the trail, and was walking back when a senior couple on bikes from colorado just happened to ride by, and the guy just happened to have a 9speed quicklink on him to save my ass.

it was only yesterday that i got my jenson order with a new chainbreaker (park brand this time) and spare quick-connect link.. i just happened to throw them in my bag this afternoon.
about 10 minutes from the end of my ride i passed 2 guys on the trail. one was walking with 2 pieces of broken chain (how he broke it in 2 places i'll never know).
i said "hey is that a 9-speed?" and then pulled out my spare parts. i repinned one link and the the quicklink on the other and he was good to go again in 5 mins.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
i said "hey is that a 9-speed?" and then pulled out my spare parts. i repinned one link and the the quicklink on the other and he was good to go again in 5 mins.
Nice. I carry a Park chain tool in my pack too. Unfortunately, I have had to use it much too often, and I think it's hard enough breaking a chain with a dedicated tool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.