Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together a single speed (jamis exile 26 w/horizontal dropouts) and plan on swithching between 2 cogs (18 and 21) depending on terrain. I am putting on the chain and wondering how I can get the best chain length. Would I put the 21 cog on, slide the axel forward in the dropouts and break & assemble the chain 1link longer than the tightest fit?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I'm assuming you're doing this with one chainring. You'll want it to be the furthest forward with the 21T cog, then when you swap to the 18T it will be almost all the way back in the dropouts. The larger the cog, the larger the difference in chain length. So 21T to 18T is a bigger change than 18T to 15T.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
gmx said:
I am putting together a single speed (jamis exile 26 w/horizontal dropouts) and plan on swithching between 2 cogs (18 and 21) depending on terrain. I am putting on the chain and wondering how I can get the best chain length. Would I put the 21 cog on, slide the axel forward in the dropouts and break & assemble the chain 1link longer than the tightest fit?

Thanks.
You don't want the extra link "1 link longer" - you want it tight but not binding.

The exact point where the 21 fits depends on the chainring. If you're unlucky the 21 may sit too far back for the 18 to use the same chain.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pacman said:
You don't want the extra link "1 link longer" - you want it tight but not binding.

The exact point where the 21 fits depends on the chainring. If you're unlucky the 21 may sit too far back for the 18 to use the same chain.
Thanks Pacman. I figured out the extra link (or lack of) as I was setting the chain up. I don't think the 21 will work but I seem to have picked up a 20 by accident - lucky mistake?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.