Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anybody help me out i built a 5.5 up last week and am just geting a feel for it, however ive a feeling my chain is too short resulting in a lack of performance,
my frame is a small and i'm running standard 22,32,44, does anybody have an ideal length in links or measurement?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
MOZWAFC said:
Could anybody help me out i built a 5.5 up last week and am just geting a feel for it, however ive a feeling my chain is too short resulting in a lack of performance,
my frame is a small and i'm running standard 22,32,44, does anybody have an ideal length in links or measurement?
The principle of fitting a chain is the same on any bike, whatever the size. Put the chain on the biggest chain ring and biggest rear cog without putting it through the derailleur. See where the chain will then join up without any slack. Add two chain links. That will be the correct chain length.

Ronnie.

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
compress the suspension!

If you do the above mentioned method or standard method you will rip der. hangers off while climbing and hitting bumps. You need to compress the suspension and check it again. Mark the chain with a crayon or something uncompressed then do it again compressed. I need to run 2 extra links on my small 5.5.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
If you do the above mentioned method or standard method you will rip der. hangers off while climbing and hitting bumps. You need to compress the suspension and check it again. Mark the chain with a crayon or something uncompressed then do it again compressed. I need to run 2 extra links on my small 5.5.
Oh please! With my chain on the 44T ring and 34T cog the derailleur still has the ability to take up slack. Climbing in the above combination makes no sense anyway. My first chain was set up using "the above method" by the Intense representative in Switzerland four years ago. I'm 220lbs. so I assume my suspension compresses a lot and I climb a lot. Never ripped a hanger yet. By the way I said add two extra links.

Ronnie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.