Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In warm/sunny CA we don't see a lot of mud but it's been raining a lot lately. I only have a handful of rides in the mud but every damn time my 1st-3rd cogs (biggest) skip so bad I feel like I'm going to break something. All it takes is slow running water from the hose to make it go away but I can't do that when I'm out on the trail.

Today the trail itself wasn't even muddy, but I went through a couple of muddy puddles and my 1st cog was skipping by the end of the ride. Looking at the cassette/derailleur it didn't even appear muddy, that's how sensitive my setup seems to be.

Stumpjumper Evo with full 1x10 XT drivetrain with the exception of a RaceFace NW chain ring and XTR shifter. This setup only has a couple hundred miles on it and I'm diligent with chain cleaning/lubing.

Any insight?

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Worn drive train
Bent hanger
Both.

The muds not really an issue, it just enough added to make the issue come out and play with you... shouldn't ride in the mud though. ;)

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to Strava...

Crank/Cassette/shifter - 146 miles
Chainring - 279 miles
Chain/RD - 234 miles

I sure hope none of it is worn enough to matter at this point and my hangar is in spec according to my Park alignment gauge. I guess I don't really care if it only happens when I ride in the mud, as that is next to never, just kind of annoying when I'm itching to ride and it's a little muddy. I'd hardly even say muddy... just a puddle here or there in the low spots.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't look like it but I'm not sure... I'm using an XT triple crank with the 1x chainring on the middle spot. I have to use an adapter to use the Shimano crank with this frame/bottom bracket but I had it professionally installed so it should be done right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts