Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In warm/sunny CA we don't see a lot of mud but it's been raining a lot lately. I only have a handful of rides in the mud but every damn time my 1st-3rd cogs (biggest) skip so bad I feel like I'm going to break something. All it takes is slow running water from the hose to make it go away but I can't do that when I'm out on the trail.

Today the trail itself wasn't even muddy, but I went through a couple of muddy puddles and my 1st cog was skipping by the end of the ride. Looking at the cassette/derailleur it didn't even appear muddy, that's how sensitive my setup seems to be.

Stumpjumper Evo with full 1x10 XT drivetrain with the exception of a RaceFace NW chain ring and XTR shifter. This setup only has a couple hundred miles on it and I'm diligent with chain cleaning/lubing.

Any insight?

· Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to Strava...

Crank/Cassette/shifter - 146 miles
Chainring - 279 miles
Chain/RD - 234 miles

I sure hope none of it is worn enough to matter at this point and my hangar is in spec according to my Park alignment gauge. I guess I don't really care if it only happens when I ride in the mud, as that is next to never, just kind of annoying when I'm itching to ride and it's a little muddy. I'd hardly even say muddy... just a puddle here or there in the low spots.

· Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't look like it but I'm not sure... I'm using an XT triple crank with the 1x chainring on the middle spot. I have to use an adapter to use the Shimano crank with this frame/bottom bracket but I had it professionally installed so it should be done right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.