Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Dude, the chain guide won't stop you riding up a hill. You just have to choose the right size front chainring to make it a bit easier, say something like a 32 or 34. Personally i prefer 34 but am running a 36 at the moment just to see if i can get away with it.
So i guess it doesn't really matter if its between 32 and 36, depending on your legs. Anything bigger would be a pain to pedal up-hill.
You could even buy a dual ring chain guide if you wanted to, E13 make one and so does Blackspire.
A good cheap option might be a Truvativ box guide, or ...... err.... something else?!?!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mr plow said:
Dude, the chain guide won't stop you riding up a hill. You just have to choose the right size front chainring to make it a bit easier, say something like a 32 or 34. Personally i prefer 34 but am running a 36 at the moment just to see if i can get away with it.
So i guess it doesn't really matter if its between 32 and 36, depending on your legs. Anything bigger would be a pain to pedal up-hill.
You could even buy a dual ring chain guide if you wanted to, E13 make one and so does Blackspire.
A good cheap option might be a Truvativ box guide, or ...... err.... something else?!?!
how can you have a dual ring chain guide

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts

Attachments

·
high school loser
1,313 Posts
i have a mrp mini-me guide and that works great and still lets me do some uphills.

·
high school loser
1,313 Posts
crazyfreerider said:
thanks whats there cheapest system
you hafta buy the one that fits your frame. mine was around 110.

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
yeah

check the chainguide in my signature. Also, a dual ring would probably be what your looking for, although you can get away with a 34 up front and a 34 out back really easy.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
JBsoxB said:
i have a 38t blackspire dh ring up front and was running a 11-32 t cassette... i could climb no problem...

now i'm running ss and can still climb ok...
yeah when you are young and skinny it doesn't matter. just need a wheel and some pedals and life is all good

·
Registered
649 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
yeah when you are young and skinny it doesn't matter. just need a wheel and some pedals and life is all good
hehe, funny cos it's true!!
Don't have to worry about sore knees or other stuff like that.
I have probs climbing (like proper climbs) on my 36 front 11-32 set up, but i just have to make do with what i got.

BTW this crazyfreerider seems a little below par for what i would call a 'Crazy Freerider'!!!! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.