Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like installing a full chain guide on the Carbine 27.5 would not work if you have a smaller chain ring on the front because of conflicts with the VPP linkage.

Has anybody successfully installed a full chain guide (upper/lower) on a Carbine 27.5? Can you post pics.

·
PVGNA PRO PATRIA
161 Posts
MRP G2 SL Medium Angle for VPP frames...I'm not sure if they still make them though. I have one with about 50 miles on it if interested.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MRP G2 SL Medium Angle for VPP frames...I'm not sure if they still make them though. I have one with about 50 miles on it if interested.
thanks, but need one compatible with 28T or 30T chainring. I forgot to put that.

I may have to just get 2 separate ones. One top mount and then a dangler tensioner.

·
Registered
506 Posts
thanks, but need one compatible with 28T or 30T chainring. I forgot to put that.

I may have to just get 2 separate ones. One top mount and then a dangler tensioner.
You are running SRAM 1x11 then? Why bother with the chainguide... I am running a Shimano 1x10 drivetrain with N/W chainring and clutch derailleur on my Carbine and no dropped chains, no chainslap and lots of chainring clearance even on my rock infested B.C. trails.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are running SRAM 1x11 then? Why bother with the chainguide... I am running a Shimano 1x10 drivetrain with N/W chainring and clutch derailleur on my Carbine and no dropped chains, no chainslap and lots of chainring clearance even on my rock infested B.C. trails.
Right now I have a clutch derailleur and doesn't seem to help on the jumps. I didn't think that the narrow wide chain ring made that much of difference on chain retention, but now I read a few articles that say that narrow wide makes a difference in chain retention.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The eThirteen XCX direct mount guide with XX1 (32t) works perfect for me...no drops. Before the guide, I did have an occasional drop here and there so I understand your need for one. oh and I do have a sram type II derailleur. carb.jpg

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The eThirteen XCX direct mount guide with XX1 (32t) works perfect for me...no drops. Before the guide, I did have an occasional drop here and there so I understand your need for one. oh and I do have a sram type II derailleur. View attachment 882018
Yeah, I was thinking about that one, but kinda wanted one with a tensioner. That lower linkage isn't the most friendly with chain tensioners because of the position especially using a 28T chainring.

·
WheelBanger
102 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about that one, but kinda wanted one with a tensioner. That lower linkage isn't the most friendly with chain tensioners because of the position especially using a 28T chainring.
If you run the guide listed above and then use a Bionicon c-guide to help with the lower retention. I use one on my Carbine with a 2x10 set up and it works great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts