Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently building up an 09 Chameleon. Want to run it single ring up front with a chainguide. Have tried an E13 SRS with ISCG adapter but that won't work as I can only fit the ISCG adapter plate one way due to the size of the BB shell (eccentric BB obv...) and of course for it to work I need the adapter fitted the other way. Anyone on here successfully fitted a chainguide to their 08 or 09 chameleon with the eccentirc BB?

·
Former Ninja
427 Posts
Can either of you guys tell how much clearance there is between the backplate and the granny ring tabs on your cranks when you try to install? Or even how much material you think might need to go to make it work?

Since you're running a single ring, I'll assume that you have filed off the granny tabs on the cranks if needed.

We made a special ISCG-05 adapter for the Kona bass that looks like the attached picture. It is noticably thinner, and it should hold up just the same. I've modified one even farther for Aaron Chase's prototype slopestyle softtail... It ended up being 3-4mm thick, but durability might be compromised.

Have a good one guys!

philip @ e*thirteen

Attachments

·
Former Ninja
427 Posts
Hey Ger,
The cheapest method might be to file down your current adapter...the ridged side can be taken down a bit as long as you are sure to clean the ISCG threads afterward.

Otherwise, if you think the Kona adapter would work...it is ISCG-05 Only. Below is the comparison picture between ISCG-OLD (Left) and ISCG-05 (Right). If you've got an ISCG-Old backplate, you might be out of luck. In that case, you could also file down the adapter that you have, if you think you can get the clearances you need. You will need to file down the granny ring tabs as well if you havn't yet. You might want to try that first before going at the adapter.

Oh, and if you DO have ISCG-05 and want the Kona adapter, shoot me an email and we can figure things out that way.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right well, I have a Gamut BB mount one to try first and if not I will try the kona one as it would indeed be an ISCG 05 I need, I have also already filed the granny tabs off. Cheers for your help will let you know if I need the adapter

·
Registered
17 Posts
I talked to the rep at E.Thirteen and he said the ISCG 05 adapter plate "should" work for the SRS+ chain guide but threads still say otherwise. I'll wait for the adapter to come since I have the guide already off of my Jackal. We'll see.

·
old school...
214 Posts
MRP G2 SL guide with BB-mounted backplate would be perfect for Chameleon. Thought I have always liked e13 guides a lot on my other bikes... I am also thinking about compatibility of SRS+. I haven't decided yet whta guide to get, because I am still waiting for my Chameleon to arrive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
MRP G2 SL guide with BB-mounted backplate would be perfect for Chameleon. Thought I have always liked e13 guides a lot on my other bikes... I am also thinking about compatibility of SRS+. I haven't decided yet whta guide to get, because I am still waiting for my Chameleon to arrive.
I went ahead and ordered both the SRS+ adapter plate as well as a Mini G2 SL BB. $17 vs. $113. The power of a 30-day return policy. This is my first MTB build so I may just ruin both chain guides, haha.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe I'm jumping the gun but the ISCG 05 adapter does fit, I guess I won't really know until I put the whole drive train together. From the looks of it, the problem is....With the EBB at the 6 o'clock position, the bolt is too long for the top mounting hole, I would imagine if the EBB were positioned at the 12 or running single speed at the 3 or 9 position, one or two bolts would run right into the EBB or over sized BB shell. You can see in the pic that the initial position I wanted for the adapter, I screwed it right into the BB shell, oops, so I had to turn the adapter to the right for clearance but then it would limit the adjustments on the guide plate. If I had a shorter bolt it wouldn't have been a problem.

Though the white on the MRP mini G2 SL BB would compliment the other parts, it does not constitute me spending another $113 when I already have the SRS+, it's going back for a refund and I'm looking for a shorter bolt(s). The MRP appears to be able to mount at any position of your EBB since there aren't any bolts to get in the way. If you don't already have a chain guide, I'd go with the MRP.

·
old school...
214 Posts
Damn that white G2 guide looks really good on that orange/white color theme.

Some cranks might not have enough space between granny ring tabs and chainguide back plate when ISCG adapter plate is installed flat side against frame. The other side of ISCG adapter extrudes too far that way. Depends of the chain guide used too.

·
I wreck alot
243 Posts
I've not met anyone who has successfully mounted an ISCG adapter and run a guide without issues on their Lizard. You'd be the first I've read about if the shorter bolt is successful.

I chose to go with the MRP bb mounted guide (Lopes model) and everything went together perfectly and performs flawlessly. You can see the thread in my sig for photos.

Bike is looking sick chunk!

·
Registered
17 Posts
MTBR members....You're right. The granny tabs do rub against the chain guide back plate with either 1 or 2 spacers on the BB. One solution would be to cut and grind the tabs off.

I did get a shorter M6 flat head bolt from my local Ace Hardware and it does not interfere with the EBB (pics to come). Only thing is, it is a philips rather than a hex so my future issue is the ability to remove it because I plan on using Loctite.

I'm leaning towards using the MRP out of mere convenience now. BB --> BB mount chainguide plate and voila, I'm good to go. With an E.13, it would be BB --> BB adapter --> 3 bolts --> chainguide plate, and can't forget about cutting the granny tabs off. With the MRP, I would have to get shorter/single chainring bolts since I won't be using the bash guard. The Brev.M orange bolts would do the job, that's another $21....

·
I wreck alot
243 Posts
MTBR members....You're right. The granny tabs do rub against the chain guide back plate with either 1 or 2 spacers on the BB. One solution would be to cut and grind the tabs off.

I did get a shorter M6 flat head bolt from my local Ace Hardware and it does not interfere with the EBB (pics to come). Only thing is, it is a philips rather than a hex so my future issue is the ability to remove it because I plan on using Loctite.

I'm leaning towards using the MRP out of mere convenience now. BB --> BB mount chainguide plate and voila, I'm good to go. With an E.13, it would be BB --> BB adapter --> 3 bolts --> chainguide plate, and can't forget about cutting the granny tabs off. With the MRP, I would have to get shorter/single chainring bolts since I won't be using the bash guard. The Brev.M orange bolts would do the job, that's another $21....

I think you found your solution. Is brand pride getting in the way here with the eThirteen guide? There is nothing wrong with the MRP guides at all. Having to grind at a brand new guide doesnt seem like a good idea when there are solutions that work perfectly for this application, require no modifications and can give the piece of mind of being proven on your ride.

I do understand that it would be cool to get the eThirteen guide working though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you found your solution. Is brand pride getting in the way here with the eThirteen guide? There is nothing wrong with the MRP guides at all. Having to grind at a brand new guide doesnt seem like a good idea when there are solutions that work perfectly for this application, require no modifications and can give the piece of mind of being proven on your ride.

I do understand that it would be cool to get the eThirteen guide working though.
I'm a newbie, so I'm learning. And because I have the e.13 guide already w/ no more than 10 miles on it, why get another one? You wouldn't have to grind the guide but most likely the cranks granny tabs. I'm more for it since my XT is used but if it were brand new, I might reconsider. It's definitely a cleaner no hassle set up with the MRP. I'm going with the MRP btw, just ordered the new chain ring bolts in orange, haha. I guess I'll have the e.13 up for sale soon then.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Goal is to finish the build by month end, it's been hard since my bedroom has also been my work space. I have all the parts, even unlaced a perfectly true front wheel to be laced to a white Halo rim. Zero wheel building experience but just got my Park Tool truing stand and tension meter, new spokes and nipples and gonna go from there. Worse case scenario, walk my wobbly wheel down to the LBS 5 minutes away.

·
Registered
17 Posts

/BrevMchainringbolts_orange.jpg[/IMG]
So this was the ISCG 05 plate with the shorter M6 bolt/screw I had bought, Notice the top bolt did not go into the BB shell but obviously I decided to go with the MRP set up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.