Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new Diamondback Topanga and noticing that my chain is hitting the bottom of the frame and chipping the paint away. Can anyone suggest a chain guard that would prevent this?

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
... unless you want to DIY out of an old inner tube and some tape or zip ties to fix it in place.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
perttime said:
... unless you want to DIY out of an old inner tube and some tape or zip ties to fix it in place.
I'm just getting into riding and don't have an old inner tube... yet, lol

Does anyone know where I can get one of these lizard skinz in Canada?

·
Registered
47 Posts
honestly, unless your chain is super loose and its like eating away at your frame, the lizard skin wraps really aren't neccesary.
really good options other then the old inner tube, is you can tape thick black electric tape around it, or you can put tennis grip tape around it, then hot glue it at the end so it doesn't doesnt damage the frame.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another option I use is to cut a hose in half lengthwise and zip-tie it to the chain stay. I do use Lizard Skins but the chain will eat them up in a short while. I put the cut up hose on top of the Lizard skin.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The main virtue of an old inner tube is that it's free, but any scrap of rubber or soft plastic will do. I use a length of clear poly tubing (available at any decent hardware store, usually near sump pumps or other plumbing) and 3 zip ties.

You don't need to spend lots of dough, look around, see what you have, and improvise. Here's a chance to challenge your own creativity, go for it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Saw a post where they mentioned using old handle bar grips...
Didn't have any used ones, but got some basic new ones for $5,
cut down one side & they slide right on - 4 zip ties later & I've got a slick looking guard
that is heavy-duty!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.