Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of quick questions about bike chain mainteneace. I have had my new bike for about 6 weeks now and my cyclo-computer says I've ridden about 170 miles, mostly on the road and light trail.

1. How often should I grease/oil/lubricatre my chain?

2. What is a good brand and product. Something not too expensive. I'm hoping there's a bunch of stuff in the under $10 range.

Thanks

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
ARB said:
Couple of quick questions about bike chain mainteneace. I have had my new bike for about 6 weeks now and my cyclo-computer says I've ridden about 170 miles, mostly on the road and light trail.

1. How often should I grease/oil/lubricatre my chain?

2. What is a good brand and product. Something not too expensive. I'm hoping there's a bunch of stuff in the under $10 range.

Thanks
Before every ride.

Finishline makes great chain lubs. Dry=dry conditions, must be put on a few hours before you ride. Wet=wet conditions, can be used in any conditions(dry) as well, doesn't have to be put on with any lead time.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
First off....

... don't 'grease' a chain unless you are racing in really extreme conditions that require it... in which case, you basically throw the chain out afterwards.

I use ProLink with good success in dry conditions, and they have that at Performance. I know a lot of people on White Lighning and WL Raceday, and that stuff works well if applied correctly, but only lasts for one ride. It's easy to deal with, and self cleaning.

Also get yourself a Finish Line chain cleaner. It does a pretty good quick-and-dirty job of keeping your chain in good working condition.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Dumonde

I will clean my chain depending on need. Usually my cleaning means removing the chain, soaking it in degreaser and then scrubbing it with a toothbrush .

If I am riding in very dirty or muddy conditions, I will clean it after every other ride or so.
If I am only doing light riding (fire roads, etc) then I will wait a few (5+) rides.
Dumonde Tech is a great lube (although a bit expensive) which allows me to wait longer than I used to when I was using Ice Wax or White Lightning.

I still use Ice Wax and White Lightning if I am doing 24 hours races since I will re-lube after each lap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prolube

harryhood said:
Use prolube, don't worry about removing buildup/dirt, etc. Apply every couple of rides. Works great.
Can be found at Performance.
I looked at Performance under Lube/Grease and didn't find Prolube. I also searched for it and nothing came up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
General all purpose lube/oil

Guys, thank you for all of the responses. Maybe I should make this myself more clear though. I'm not a hard core, 24 hour racer type. I will never race! I ride on trails, street, and some downhill. I have a $400 Gary Fisher bike not a $2500 full suspension rig. I just need a decent lube/oil for a chain on a bike that is use 3 times a week for the average use descibed above. I don't want to spend $25 on a 2 oz. tube of super duper racing lube or something the like.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use the same stuff as pimpbot referred to. ProLink chain lube - works great, have used it about 5 times since ive started riding, and has not let me down yet. I use Finish Line Degreaser as well, just use some with a brush on the chain and then lube up. Make sure you let the chain dry after cleaning/degreasing because any water on the chain will not let the lube protect the chain. so let the chain dry overnight or something, and apply the lube before your next ride.

btw this is all documented in the beginners forum, there is a link at the top about proper drivetrain care. good luck and happy riding!

·
2,548 Posts
dissonance said:
Well you can get TriFlow lube at Wal-mart for cheap. Should be in automotive or possibly also in sporting goods.
MMMmmm......TriFlow....just the thought of it brings the delicious synthetic-banana scent to mind and takes me in the way-back-machine to my late 70's/'80's raodbike days.....MMMmmm... I love the smell of TriFlow, but now use drylubes (WL, generally) on my bikes - they work as intended and leave no chainring tats (...but smell nowhere near as good...MMMmmm...TriFlow...hehheh) ;) .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nashbar shipping

dissonance said:
Don't forget to add about $5 for their slowest shipping method.
Hmm... Their shipping has never taken more than 3 days for me, usually 2 days. I'm in DC on the east coast though and there Shiiping loacation is not too far away in W. Virginia.

·
Registered
210 Posts
ARB said:
Hmm... Their shipping has never taken more than 3 days for me, usually 2 days. I'm in DC on the east coast though and there Shiiping loacation is not too far away in W. Virginia.
I was just thinking that in Washington DC that you would be able to find quality lube without having to go online.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.