Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I emailed tech support yesterday, but it was late, and I want to get my bike up and running good. I will probably hear from them monday i would guess. Anyway, the problem I seem to have since I got it, is the chain jumping gear under load. If I am in the first or second cog in the rear, second chainring in the front, it tends to jump gears then return. It might do it in the granny gear, but I seldom use a gear that low when riding. I tried two cassettes, both shimano one xt and the stock one that came with it. At first it was jumping into the spokes if I was in first, but I adjusted the limit screw (on the rear) and thats gone now. The bike shifts perfectly when in the stand, but acts up when really pushing on it. I was wondering if its a cable housing problem. I did let most of the air out of the rear shock and rode it in my driveway to see if it would do it, but doesn't. I also put a sram pc991 chain on it too, but no luck. Any ideas? I know this should go into the drivetrain area, but I figure if somebody had the same problem on the same bike, the fix would be easier to fix. Thanks.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
If Iam understanding correctly,

If its ghosting into 1st when in 2nd..Turn the barrel-adjuster at the rear of the RD in short incraments: CLOCKWISE..:thumbsup:

If its ghosting into 3rd when in 2nd then turn: COUNTER-CLOCKWISE...:thumbsup:

:rant: ...DAMN SHIMANO DRIVETRAINs..:incazzato:

Hope this helps..:D

Jake Pay, POWERED by SRAM Here..:ihih::yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker::lol: ..............
................:rant: ...XO ROCKs...:band: .....:prft::ciappa: :lol: ....................

EDIT:Other possabilities....:idea: Bent RD hanger..Chains to long..Poor cable routing..:madman::madman::madman:

CABLE ROUTING ON A DUALLY: When compressing the rear suspension the cable-houseing has to move with the bike..In turn moving the cable at the RD..

:rant: MORE MOVING PARTS = MORE THING THAT CAN AND WILL "F" UP!!!:incazzato:
Basic LAW 101: by Prof. Murphy..:madmax:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
PayHere sounds like a man with experiance on this. He is correct you should be able to adjust out with the cable adjustor on the derailleur. Also as he pointed out the cable needs enough slack to allow the suspension to move without pulling on the cable. Those are the most common causes for ghost shifting. Shimanos rule th drive line world!!!! :D :thumbsup:

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. It sounds like one of those things I am gonna have to iron out a little at a time. Oh, I have some asta fun in the end of a video I put together.
The asta is at the end when i have the yellow and red jersey on. Red asta expert.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, by the way, the chain is not too long, I tried shortening it more, but It will not shift into 1st when in the large chainring. I wouldn't think the derailuer hanger is bent, no crashes yet. A few close calls, but thats it.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Geist262 said:
Oh, by the way, the chain is not too long, I tried shortening it more, but It will not shift into 1st when in the large chainring. I wouldn't think the derailuer hanger is bent, no crashes yet. A few close calls, but thats it.
My experiance wthe the derailleur bracket is if it's bent it acts up in all gears. :)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Geist262,

Did you get the GHOST out of your drive-train ?

Jake Pay, POWERED by SRAM Here...:ihih: :yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker: :prft::ciappa: :lol:

....................:rant: ......RIDE B:yikes: ..............................

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, not yet because its been so hot and HUMID that I haven't rode much. The thing is I woirk from 5:30am to about 1:30pm in this hot weather in a bakery. The humidity fries me for riding. If it was dry, I would have it made. Plus I have asthma, so I have a hard time riding in it. Anyway, its somewhat dry today and I am gonna head out and see what happens. Thanks for the advice though. Heres a question for you. Say I dial out the ghost shifting, but it introduces poor shifting quality somewhere else, Would I then use the indexing barrels at the shifter to tweak that? Thanks!
Randy

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
"Say I dial out the ghost shifting, but it introduces poor shifting quality somewhere else, Would I then use the indexing barrels at the shifter to tweak that? Thanks!"
Randy
................................................RIDE B:yikes: ...............................................

Yes, do the fine-tuning at the shifters:thumbsup:

Also may I suggest an AVID Rollamajig..:cornut::D

Eliminating the houseing loop at the RD really helped me with the XT that I once had..:thumbsup: I'll get back with a link...YADA-YADA..
EDIT: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11...Avid-Rollamajig---Derailleur-Cable-Device.htm
That little gismo helps the Shimano RD hold tune better, longer, and just flat out WORKs

Everyone of my rideing buds that are still shimano die-hards are useing the ones I gave them..And Love'n it..:yesnod:

Good luck with your GHOST, I hope this helps:D

Jake Pay, POWERED by SRAM Here...:ihih: :yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker: :prft::ciappa: :lol:

...............:rant: .....XO...ROCKs....:rockon::band: ....... :headphones: ...................

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.