Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fisher Fan
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm still pretty much a newbie at all these nitty gritty stuff, especially maintenance and repairing of bikes. Anyway, ever since my chain slipped off my Front.D and after a bumpy day at the trail, after I put back the chain into the correct alignment, I noticed that my chain/gear keep on slipping occasionally, perhaps like every 5 seconds or so, particularly when I'm going uphills. I got my friend to check out what seems to be the problem, and he made sure the front.d and rear.d are functioning okay, and it SEEMED to be okay when we flipped it upside down and tried turning the pedals. Didn't managed to find out what was wrong actually, could anyone lend a helping hand? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Is the chain changing gears - like bouncing up and down on the rear cassette, or is it just jumping? Does it happen only in one gear, or all of them?

You could have:

1. Worn chain or chainrings (probably not that likely if it wasn't doing it before it slipped off, but could be)
2. Out of adjustment derailleur, most likely in the rear. This is probably the more likely issue.

When you pedal the bike in a work stand, or while it's upside down, you're not putting the same load on the drive train that you would if you were sitting on it with your weight and pedaling. Give us some more info and maybe we can help adjust something, but a part may have failed and needs replacement, so taking it to an LBS might be a better option.

·
Fisher Fan
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its just jumping, gears aren't actually changed while it slipped, and it happens in all gears. I'm more of inclined towards number 2, seems to be more likely. Might've been the fall I had during the trail that could've affected it, it was alright before.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
All obvious possibilities have been named here.I would recommend to let a bike shop have a quick look. Checking the chain for wear (stretching), derailleur hanger for being straight takes them a minute. Adjusting it takes 5 min. Cannot be that expensive.

Sidenote: Just run the drive train on my road bike into the ground. I simply missed to check the chain for stretching. Bad - as I even have that little tool to measure chain strech. Anyway, a few weeks ago I started to notice that my chain skipped occassionally. Seemed to happen only when I started off from a traffic light at a high gear... Skipped more in some gears tah in others. Soon enough started to skip more often. Finally it skipped whenevver I hammered instead of spinning... Finally checked it: Chain stretched massively, had worn the cogs down, too. Even the teeth of the front rings were widened by the streched chain. Taught me to give my commuter some TLC, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.