Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Noob
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get folks opinion on something. I have had my bike for about a week (XO1 AXS). I saw a tech video from Sram talking about the chain gap tool. I had my bike in the shop that I bought it from and ask the mechanic if he could check my chain gap to verify that it's correct. He did not use a tool and said that he did not need one. He put the bike on a stand and made some adjustments which did seem to improve the shifting. He said he never uses the tool. I'm curious if this is bullshit or not. The Sram video suggested that you use the tool and that you make the adjustments under sag. Obviously the mechanic at the shop did neither. Should I get a new mechanic?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Setup enough eagle drivetrains and you get a pretty good feel for it without the gap tool. Same goes for how sag affects the point you should set it up, if you're familiar with the bike.
If your shifting is mint I wouldn't worry about it. If you're not working on bikes all day every day, having one can be handy, b-tension screws can loosen and you may want to adjust yourself.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Yes, it is necessary. Also, on some of my AXS bikes, the B-Tension screw has backed off a little bit causing shifting issues so I had to break out the chain gap tool again. Make sure you use the correct tool. The tool is different for AXS versus non-AXS Eagle RDs.

·
Registered
624 Posts
A few months ago I was having an issue with my rear derailleur. I was on the phone with Sram and the first question was how did I check the B gap. In the Eagle AXS system user manual, page 41, it shows that you should have a 3mm gap between the top of the pulley wheel under sag. As Afalts pointed out, set up/work with AXS enough, you do get a good feel for how it should shift.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I tune AXS and non-axs quite a bit and most of my bikes are SRAM equipped now. My answer is unequivocally YES. 12 speed setups can be finicky so why would a mechanic NOT check the spacing with the tool (B SCREW) and the alignment of the hanger on every single rear der adjust ? The mechanic may think he knows what he's doing, but he's not realizing that it takes time for people to pack a bike, bring it to the shop, etc. Get it 100% correct the first time using the proper technique and tools vs just "eyeballing it". "eyeballing it" seems like something a backyard mechanic would do to his own bike. Lazy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.