Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend just got an 04 tassajara new at the LBS. When she tries to shift into the granny ring while peddling up an incline the chain almost always falls off. We took it in and they said that there was nothing to be adjusted. They said the low screw and the tension were adjusted correctly.
Is this just the way it has to be?

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
jfr0 said:
My girlfriend just got an 04 tassajara new at the LBS. When she tries to shift into the granny ring while peddling up an incline the chain almost always falls off. We took it in and they said that there was nothing to be adjusted. They said the low screw and the tension were adjusted correctly.
Is this just the way it has to be?
ACK! NO! It IS NOT this way. You got this from the LBS on a brand new bike? Personally, I'd go get my money back and go somewhere else. Seriously! There are more causes than just the low limit screw that could cause your problem. It's scary that they don't know this.

Go back and demand to speak to a manager or owner. If that was the manager/owner that told you that, see above. Tell them you want this fixed properly. That you're going to contact Gary Fisher and make a complaint.

Your front derailleur could me mounted too high, too low, or not straight. Could be a chain line problem. Could have the wrong BB.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know much about bikes, but I have been commuting on one for 4 years and I never had any problems like this before. How can you tell if the front derailer is mounted too high or low?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant seem to figure it out. It shifts fine when not under load. The height is good (penny just like the link), the alignment seems to be good, The low seems ok (dime width on the bottom end).

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Chain tension ...

jfr0 said:
I cant seem to figure it out. It shifts fine when not under load. The height is good (penny just like the link), the alignment seems to be good, The low seems ok (dime width on the bottom end).
You may have too much chain in the system. This slackens the derailleur hanger and makes it easier for the chain to jump off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.