Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my chain drops off a chainring towards the frame it almost instantly gets lodged between the frame and the lower link. Pulling the chain out requires a really solid yank and I'm guessing isn't too healthy for it. I swapped the big ring in place of a bashguard and now I'm contemplating going 1x9 with the MRP 1X guide OR picking up this little guy and keeping my 2x9 setup - Third Eye Chain Watcher

Has anyone used the chain watcher? 15g isn't much if it'll help the situation. I'm interested in going 1x9 for its simplicity but haven't yet decided if my legs are up to it. I'm in Southern Ontario so most climbs are doable in the middle ring anyways...any suggestions? Thanks!

·
wheelie king
614 Posts
I used a third eye back in the 90's, it worked pretty well. I went 1X9 on my trance X. I have a bash guard and an N'gear Jump stop. It's awesome. Much quieter, less weight and much simpler. I don't have any big mountains, so it works good for me. You should try it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
661lee said:
I used a third eye back in the 90's, it worked pretty well. I went 1X9 on my trance X. I have a bash guard and an N'gear Jump stop. It's awesome. Much quieter, less weight and much simpler. I don't have any big mountains, so it works good for me. You should try it.
Thanks for the suggestion, what size chainring & cassette are you using? I don't have my bike here with me and don't remember the seat tube size, is it 34.9mm?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I was thinking, that since the big ring is gone I can lower the position of the FR on the seat tube. But if I push it any further down the seat tube, it'll make contact with the seatstay-chainstay link on the rear triangle when the rear shock is compressed...

·
wheelie king
614 Posts
You don't want to lower the FD on the seat tube. You do want to adjust your FD stop so that it doesn't shift past the middle ring. You should also shorten your chain if you removed the big ring. Check your inner stop adjustment as well, that could be allowing the chain to drop off the granny.

I'm running the stock 32 up front with an 11/34 cassette. If you get a jump stop, you want the 35mm.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've adjusted the FD so that it can't go futher in than the granny or further out than the middle ring but whenever I've encountered the chain-drop issue it was from the middle-ring all the way down...I'll try shortening the chain though, don't know why I didn't think of that before - insufficient chain tension can certainly be the culprit...thanks for the heads-up guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.