Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 5 spot will be here tomorrow. I plan on building it starting next week and am sorting out the last details on setup. In the past ive always had chain drop issues on other bikes. I like to ride hard and fast over some pretty rough trail. On my last few bikes ive copied a MRP LRP with my own plate and roller. This ends up working real well to keep the chain on the rings. I also extend the plate up so it cant fall too far inside to get jammed between the little ring and swingarm. Does anyone have any advice to share? Does this happen to anyone else? On the bikes that ive had my custom plate chain drop never was a problem. I have some that are behind the BB shell mounted, and i also have the E-13 adapter for ICSG mounting.

Thanks,
damon

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
There was a long thread on this back in late May, I believe. I recommend the Heim 3 chain guide with some slight mods. It can accept 3 rings, or two with a bash guard. It has a conical roller so backpedaling keeps the chain from dropping to the granny. It is also very light and thin so it will not mess up the chain line. The roller is not totally silent though- the chain clicks a little as it rolls over the pulley. The E13 systems are very popular and highly rated. The LRP is venerable but a little long in the tooth.

I only drop the chain while coasting over really rough terrain, never ever while pedaling, when not using a guide. It usually only takes one crank rev to get the chain back on the rings. At home (in Kodiak, Alaska) it is not a big deal (no long, rocky, high-speed hills), but on our road trip to Moab this winter, dropped chains after long rough descents was an issue. That spurred me to get the Heim.

Search this forum for "heim" and you will find the thread.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With so many Q's about building yet another new bike i dont know where to start. I get overwhelmed by the size of the MTBR forums. Thanks for the tip. Ill do a search.

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
I have dropped my chain several times, usually due to sloppy shifting under load when I suddenly decide I want to be in my granny half way up a climb especially after a bumpy descent. If I have one criticism of the 5-spot design (other than the fact that the small needs an extra 1/2" on the seattube so I dont have to grind off part of seatpost QR)(Turner are you listening!) it is that if the chain gets stuck behind the main pivot and is a real [email protected] to get out. I have also found this may kink the chain and lead to a sudden unexpected chain failure uphill. This really makes me think seriously about some form of chain retention system.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flying Wombat said:
I have dropped my chain several times, usually due to sloppy shifting under load when I suddenly decide I want to be in my granny half way up a climb especially after a bumpy descent. If I have one criticism of the 5-spot design (other than the fact that the small needs an extra 1/2" on the seattube so I dont have to grind off part of seatpost QR)(Turner are you listening!) it is that if the chain gets stuck behind the main pivot and is a real [email protected] to get out. I have also found this may kink the chain and lead to a sudden unexpected chain failure uphill. This really makes me think seriously about some form of chain retention system.
Here is my cad drawin from the last time i made my plate. The arm that mounts on the shock hole makes a wall that the chain cant go through to get jammed between the swingarm. Worked perfect.....

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts