Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I converted my XT Shadow + RD to be able to accommodate a WT 49T GC by replacing the stock cage with a Wolfcage kit. Over time, whenever I backpedal too far, or during high speed, bumpy descents, the chain would actually jump off the upper jockey wheel and lay stationary within the RD cage. The chain seems to fall inboard inside the RD cage, and does not jump off the single chainring I use (I have a chainguide too).

The chain is not stretched, but perhaps I should remove a link?

·
since 4/10/2009
30,901 Posts
Backpedalling does not make you go faster.
it's a useful thing to be able to do when you need to adjust the positioning of your pedals. I get sick of seeing this line of BS all the time.

OP, outside of checking derailleur adjustments (especially the b-screw), it's possible your jockey pulley is worn out and flopping around, allowing for the chain to fall off of it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
it's a useful thing to be able to do when you need to adjust the positioning of your pedals. I get sick of seeing this line of BS all the time.

OP, outside of checking derailleur adjustments (especially the b-screw), it's possible your jockey pulley is worn out and flopping around, allowing for the chain to fall off of it.
Or not spinning freely.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
it's a useful thing to be able to do when you need to adjust the positioning of your pedals. ...
Yeah, you need up to 3/4 of a backward rev to adjust crank phasing. The chain might drop a cog, but it'll pick up immediately once pedaling forward. Personally I would not call anything less than a full rev backpedaling.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,901 Posts
Yeah, you need up to 3/4 of a backward rev to adjust crank phasing. The chain might drop a cog, but it'll pick up immediately once pedaling forward. Personally I would not call anything less than a full rev backpedaling.
eh, quibbling about definitions. for a lot of people, ANY backwards rotation of the pedals counts as such.

Besides, what OP is describing is not the usual "backpedal chain drop" issue. Whatever is going on is related to the jockey pulley. Either it's not adjusted correctly or (what I think more likely to be the case) that it's worn out and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the rear wheel to examine the pulley wheel, and it spins freely with no major wear of the teeth. I was able to tighten the screw in a tad, as well as the
clutch. Field test coming on Thursday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts