Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a problem … Been trying to set up a 2nd wheelset for my CX SS (a very nice Sycip crossdresser .. will post pics soon) .. I am currently running a White Ind ENO wheelset on #1 with a road ratio and am planning to use a spare White Ind rear cassette hub with spacers and cog for off road abuse on wheelset #2

My little problem here is that I cannot for the life of me get the chain to stay on the cassette hub. I can torque the QR nice and tight and get good tension, but the chain still keeps dropping when I put pressure on it. I have Paul's tensioners on my rear dropouts.

I have ordered an Endless 21T cog to replace the crappy shimano one I am using .. should that solve the issue or am I doomed to buy a new rear wheelset?

Thanks for the help!

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,322 Posts
I'm sorry, maybe you mentioned it and I just don't see it but which cog or freewheel are you using? If it's a loose cog, is it ramped or SS specific? How's your chainline? Are any teeth bent (ring or cog)? Any twisted links in your chain?

I doubt it's the fault of your wheelset.

--Sparty

euphemism said:
Got a problem … Been trying to set up a 2nd wheelset for my CX SS (a very nice Sycip crossdresser .. will post pics soon) .. I am currently running a White Ind ENO wheelset on #1 with a road ratio and am planning to use a spare White Ind rear cassette hub with spacers and cog for off road abuse on wheelset #2

My little problem here is that I cannot for the life of me get the chain to stay on the cassette hub. I can torque the QR nice and tight and get good tension, but the chain still keeps dropping when I put pressure on it. I have Paul's tensioners on my rear dropouts.

I have ordered an Endless 21T cog to replace the crappy shimano one I am using .. should that solve the issue or am I doomed to buy a new rear wheelset?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you nailed it!

I've got a bunch of spacers on a White Ind Racer X Cassette hub ... I just had a look at the cog and whaddya know ... its ramped ...

Chainline is ok and everything seems straight ... so am I safe to assume its the evil work of the ramped cog?

thanks!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
be sure to check your chain close..

The only times i have dropped chains with seemingly no explanation, my chain broke shortly after. The cog may be the problem if its ramped, but do yourself a huge favor and check that chain close and/or replace it if it has much time/miles on it.

my 2 cents

ken

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool ... Thanks guys

Thanks for that ... my chain is new so I can rule that out ... looks like the ramped cog's fault .. can't wait for the Endless cog to come

Funny how I totally missed that ... been riding SS for three years with freewheels and this is my first cassette hub conversion ... duh ... :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.