Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I've been experiencing chain drop since I switched to an 08' 5-spot (had a burner) and was wondering what chain guide do you guys recommend or use? I found a blackspire on bikebling.com for 25 bones. Would this work? Thanks for any input.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
The stinger will work. I use a stinger plate with a MRP roller on the Sultan. It will replace the drive side BB spacer.

FWIW...$24 at Universal Cycles in colors.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Most will work and most have some amount of fiddling on the setup. Guides like the stinger are the least expensive, offer good chain retention, fit just about any frame, and are IME the least quirky on setup.

I am holding out for a E13 Heim2 at the moment. Once they show up at the major online retail sites I will grab one.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
If you want an alternative to a guide try the Ronnie Ring. I run one of these and it works well. I will still drop the chain from middle to small on some drops but never off the rings complelely.

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
I had quite a bit of chain dropping on my 08' RFX even with a MRP LRP guide. Went to a Shimano 2 ring specific front derailleur and ZERO dropped chains. Most 2 ring guides add a small amount of tension and wrap but the front der. cage is there to keep the chain from falling off the ring.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet....thanks for the replies. This was a big issue this past weekend on a 20 mile rock fest. It drove me crazey with the chain slap and chain drops. I'm fiddin to order one up.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
I just built up a bike using an old 1995 diamond back frame and I am having trouble with the chain coming off the small ring. It might have to do with mixing 8 speed and 9 speed stuff. Old 8 speed STX crank, 9 speed chain, etc.
Are these chain guides designed to fix problems like this? Or do I need to figure out what is wrong with my set up. It looks like the chain is coming to the small ring at an angle, ie, the large rear cog is more inboard than the small chain ring.
It seems like adding a guard inboard of the small ring would make the angle worse.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,958 Posts
As a former bike shop mech and rider that rarely experiences a dropped chain, I'd say it's 90% derailer setup, although some ring combinations may cause derailer positions that contribute. Front derailers aren't perfect, all too often people adjust them to "not rub" at all, which degrades their shifting and chain performance. There is usually a bit of rub at the extremes. It helps to keep the chain on.

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
I use a 36-22 setup and a blackspire stinger on my spot and previously on my RFX. The stinger takes care of tension when bombing the downhills. No more chain drop in the rough stuff. I like it. However, I sometimes experience chain drop when I shift from the 36 tooth mid to the 22 tooth granny. Yes, the derailleur is properly setup and adjusted. I attribute this to the huge jump from 36 to 22 tooth granny. I think the Ronnie ring or a similar guide will work. The problem is that it would be impossible to fit the ronnie ring and the blackspire stinger at the same time.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Jayem said:
As a former bike shop mech and rider that rarely experiences a dropped chain, I'd say it's 90% derailer setup, although some ring combinations may cause derailer positions that contribute. Front derailers aren't perfect, all too often people adjust them to "not rub" at all, which degrades their shifting and chain performance. There is usually a bit of rub at the extremes. It helps to keep the chain on.
My chain coming off the small ring is not a front deraileur problem I don't think. If I set it up to rub a little on the inside to hold it on the small ring, then it wouldn't be moving over far enough to shift from middle to small.
Maybe it is using a 9 speed chain with an 8 speed crankset, but I have done that before without problems.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,842 Posts
The LRP's backplate is raised above the shell which goes a long way in preventing the chain from dropping onto the shell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts