Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
UK MTBR member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got an MRP G2 chain device to go onto my SS1 but it needs some modifying to fit properly. It fouls the VPP bolts on the lower link, even with the washers fitted to the bolts.
Is there one that will fit straight on without the need to modify, or are they all like that?
Many thanks

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
If you grind the closest pivot bolt (or get a flush one), most will fit with a 0.5 or 1mm BB spacer (may not even need it; can't remember). Or you can grind away. e13 DRS and SRS+ works fine. Didn't like the Stinger given its thickness.

You want to stay away from taco-style guides like G2 because SS1 has weak ISCG tabs. Just welded on. One big hit and something will break. Go for bashguard ones.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I hacksawed the end of the lower pivot bolt of so I no longer use the circlip. I use a single spacer for the BB and a single set of the washers it came with and my e13 fits just fine. I;m less happy about the amount of times it implodes on me but at least it does fit and I don't get chain suck as I did with the Gamut and the Straitline before. To be fair to the Gamut it was very rare for it to happen.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Cable0guy said:
If you grind the closest pivot bolt (or get a flush one), most will fit with a 0.5 or 1mm BB spacer (may not even need it; can't remember). Or you can grind away. e13 DRS and SRS+ works fine. Didn't like the Stinger given its thickness.

You want to stay away from taco-style guides like G2 because SS1 has weak ISCG tabs. Just welded on. One big hit and something will break. Go for bashguard ones.
Don't forget that there are two types of ISCG tabs on the SS1. The eariler ISCG old tabs are weak. The later ISCG 05 tabs are much burlier. My SS has the earlier ones, while my wife has the beefier ones....that she doesn't take advantage of, anyway.

By the way, I briefly tried a Stinger, and it simply can't retain the chain as well as an E13 DRS, so it was replaced with the DRS again after a couple rides.

And yes, if you go with a short bolt, the outer part of the link is nearly flush with the ISCG tabs, so a very thin washer may be enought to clear. However, with the DRS, I want it to be as far left as possible when running granny front and big cog in the back. Even then there's still some slight chain rubbing on the side of the guard plate.

·
UK MTBR member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My SS has the 05 tabs on. Seems a bit silly when you spend so much money, that you have to modify parts that fit straight onto other bikes!
Out of all my 10 Intenses, this one needs the most work!

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Curly68 said:
My SS has the 05 tabs on. Seems a bit silly when you spend so much money, that you have to modify parts that fit straight onto other bikes!
Out of all my 10 Intenses, this one needs the most work!
Yeah, you'd think the chain retention companies would make a device that fits all frames but that's not a reasonable expectation, is it?

It's not up to the frame company to make sure that all components on the market fit. Since the beginning of chain retention devices, it's been quite common to make the necessary modifications to make the devices fit. Some fit some bikes without a problem, some requre mods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.