Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fs Niner and just put my Xt clutch derailleur on it. I like the quietness of the clutch style. Also I'm running 1x10 but had zero issues with just the xt non clutch. Today the first ride with the clutch style in the on position on a climb the chain snapped. Should I get rid of the clutch style? Does the fs have too much chain flex. I had been running the clutxh style on my ht. I don't want to keep snapping chains

·
Registered
255 Posts
My chain snapped going uphill too. But mine was a single speed.

Fell badly because I was standing and most of my weight was on the front wheel and I toppled over.

I'm a little paranoid with hammering uphill now. Lol

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I don't see how a clutch could cause chain breakage. The tension added by the clutch is miniscule compared to drive force. Did it break while you were shifting?

FS can break or wear out the clutch faster, but it shouldn't cause chain breakage unless the chain is too short. Shift into your largest cog and run the rear suspension through its entire range of motion. There should always be some angle to the chain where it goes thru the jockeys.

It could have just been a coincidence. If you ever split the chain with a chain breaker then reconnected it, it is weakened and cannot be trusted. Reconnect with a quick link.

·
GONE
25,313 Posts
This isn't something you hear about over and over so it would seem to be a fluke. I've been pushing hard for a while now up my steep climbs on a Shimano clutch style RD with zero issues. For me, the clutch really only comes into play when I am flying downhill over chattery terrain. The minimized chain slap is wonderful.

Perhaps you can switch the clutch off for climbing if you are worried about it?

·
Registered
322 Posts
This just happened to me also. I think the clutch shifts just a little slower than the reg deraileur and when you do this under load it leads to a chain snap

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I could remember if I was shifting when it happened. I do know it's a sram chain but not sure which one. I will take a look when I get home. I believe I'm going to order the xx1 chain and check the chain tension with the suspension movement and go from there

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also I just put on the xtr shifter and when you shift down if your not careful it shifts two gears so that is also a possibility too

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
I don't know what caused your chain to break but I'm sure it had nothing to do with the derailleur clutch, shifting under load is probably the #1 chain killer.

·
Getting hillier every day
1,280 Posts
I've put a couple thousand miles on SRAM x01 clutch-style derailleurs on a full suspension bike and have never snapped a chain. I'm by no means a lightweight, and the trails I ride have some severe (15-25%) uphill grades. I do replace chains semi-frequently (about every 500-750 miles).

I'd guess that either (1) the chain you are using had a defect or is worn to the point that uphill climbing stresses resulted in failure, or (2) there's something about the new derailleur setup (assuming everything else is the same) that requires a slightly longer chain.

I would guess that you'll have no problems if you throw a new chain on, but would make sure that you check the chain length in your biggest rear cog with the suspension fully compressed (and all air out of the shock) to make sure that's not the culprit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts