Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Never broken an Eagle chain and I have maybe 20000km on Eagle drivetrains. I find that there are 3 ways to break 12-speed good quality (X01/XX1/XT/XTR) chains:
1.) Mis-shifting under load
2.) External damage such as banging the chainring on rocks
3.) Riding on a badly worn chain, which should have been replaced anyway

·
Registered
40 Posts
Broke a chain a few weeks ago after riding it for around a year. First chain I ever broke. It was a NX eagle chain. After inspection the whole chain was pretty worn out - lots of damaged side plates... I rode a lot in my life and I never seen chain that worn so fast, and it wasn't even stretched.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
Broke a chain a few weeks ago after riding it for around a year. First chain I ever broke. It was a NX eagle chain. After inspection the whole chain was pretty worn out - lots of damaged side plates... I rode a lot in my life and I never seen chain that worn so fast, and it wasn't even stretched.
My XX1 chain wasn't stretched lengthwise either. If you held it sideways in the air though, compared to a new chain, it had almost no side to side structural rigidity. My drivetrain skipped like crazy, and was unfixable because of that. New chain and boom - problem solved. I have never experienced this side to side flimsiness with a chain before.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. The chain I broke last night was relatively new. Last year it broke twice on one ride.

Last night I did not have links on me because I just got a fanny pack and did not transfer my tool kit. Luckily my buddies 11 speed link worked or I would have been walking 5 miles in the dark.

I dont know why I have broken so many XX1 chains

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,989 Posts
I haven't broken a chain in years. As far as power and wear, I've also been at max in the last 5-7 years compared to the rest of my life. The biggest factor for chain reliability seems to be the mushroom-pins that they started about 20 years ago, this slowly bled over to all of shimano's line and more slowly, to SRAMs (over a number of years). Any chain issues IME could be weird random one-off flaws, but more likely related to something on the installation.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,064 Posts
I also haven't broken a chain in many years.

I don't ride Eagle, though, so I can't comment on that.

I also do wonder about chain damage on 1x drivetrains. I've seen people fold their 1x chainrings from hitting them on logs. I use bash guards on my 1x bikes to protect the chain as much as the chainring (I've only got one ring, so folding it over on an impact is a risk I'm not willing to take).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another undiscussed result of the easy-button 1x drivetrains forced upon us....Cross-chaining destroys chains and the 1x systems bend em sideways big time unlike the 2x systems. Simple geometry. Advantage/2x. Don't do things just because everyone else does, right? Problem is we will soon (if not already) have no option to run what we brung. Next is simply easy button electric only, rendering 1x12 or 13 or 14 "out of favor"...funny..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 x could have more side forces like Peetey said.

It was shifting weird before it broke so maybe there were some weird forces on the chain.

But I have broken so many chains in the last few years I wonder.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.