Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 GF Hifi. i switched the shifters and derails to sram x9. i broke some teeth on my cassette (11-32). i'd like to switch to an 11-34 and get a new chain. is the 11-34 compatible? i have horrible technique and shift a lot while climbing. i need something real durable for adventure racing. any help is appreciated. thanks

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Learn proper technique for shifting. All it takes is a little planning ahead and backing off on the pressure on the pedals when you want to shift. Don't shift under more than 25% power and you'll save your ring gears and cassettes. Spin the gears, but under light load when you want to shift.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'm with randyboy, doing adventure racing with poor technique just doesn't sound like a good idea. Your drivetrain is probably compatible since you're running an 11-32 now, but if you installed a short cage rear derailleur then it could be an issue; chain length might not be optimal either. What cassette were you breaking teeth off of?

·
Registered
536 Posts
hunter4623 said:
I have an 07 GF Hifi. i switched the shifters and derails to sram x9. i broke some teeth on my cassette (11-32). i'd like to switch to an 11-34 and get a new chain. is the 11-34 compatible? i have horrible technique and shift a lot while climbing. i need something real durable for adventure racing. any help is appreciated. thanks
Go SRAM 990 or XT for the cassette, light enough and the most durable as well. 11-34 will work fine as long as you have the long-cage RD.

And practice better shifting technique, it will save you money and pain.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
thecrazyfinn said:
Go SRAM 990 or XT for the cassette, light enough and the most durable as well. 11-34 will work fine as long as you have the long-cage RD.

And practice better shifting technique, it will save you money and pain.
yeah right, check out the reviews, Ill sell you mine , it has <100 miles and bent third ring
never crashed , no sticks, nothing, just climbing over rocks and roots on tight singletrack
if thats their most durable Ill stick with LX

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Your drivetrain is probably compatible since you're running an 11-32 now, but if you installed a short cage rear derailleur then it could be an issue; chain length might not be optimal either.
I'll be switching from a 970 11-32 cassette to an 11-34 990... My bike already has a long cage X9 rd (stock component)... Will I need to add some extra links? Or switch to a longer chain?

cheers

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
MI_canuck said:
I'll be switching from a 970 11-32 cassette to an 11-34 990... My bike already has a long cage X9 rd (stock component)... Will I need to add some extra links? Or switch to a longer chain?

cheers
If you can stay out of the big ring and the 34 tooth cog, you should be fine. You shouldn't be in that gear combo anyway.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
if i added an extra link, would that be ideal though?

i've got a shimano chain right now, wondering if worth upgrading to the sram pg991 (regular or hollow pin) when i swap the 970 11-32 to 990 11-34?

cheers

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dont bother adding links. Don't go into big-big, end of story.

But yes, its totally worth upgrading. Love the 991 on my tass!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.