Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pedal Damnit
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in my order for a Niner and have started getting the pieces and parts together. I wanted to see if anybody had some chain advice. I did a quick search but didn't see any. I tip the scales at around 200 lbs and am using 175 cranks and the17t and 32t that come with the wheels and cranks.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Having just setup 2 different chains on 2 different bikes (a SRAM 990 and a Shimano Dura-Ace), I can say that the the Shimano chain was the messiest, stickiest chain I've dealt with. The grease they use on those things is like waxy glue. The SRAM chain was nice and lubricated, needing only a quick wipe with some dry lube to get the excess lube off.

On my 3rd bike, I just broke a SRAM PC59 at the powerlink. First chain I've ever broke in 10 years of riding.

Maybe you could use any SRAM chain expect the hollowpin one ... and run it without the powerlink.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I'm now trying to order a bunch or PC-970's I can get for the same price as the PC-59, but the damn shop won't accept my order, not my PC, and not those at friends. The PC-59 has alwys been pretty fair on my, I only remember one failure with it, and it was brand new. I think the 970 can only be better. I like to use the same chains for geared and singlespeed, no particular reason.
SRAM's to me are easy to wipe clean, spray with cheap teflon, and wipe again, and always perform perfectly afterwards.
The drivetrain forum might give you more info, based on experience and drivetrain fetishism.

·
Pedal Damnit
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I just put a Sram on my fully and my friend loves his. I saw that Performance offers a singlespeed Sram chain and I just wasn't sure if the loads placed on a SS required a different chain than your everday 8 or 9 speed chain.

·
rider
808 Posts
3rd on it...

I got sick of the Shimano pin deal and superglue grease and went with the high end SRAM's without any problems. I haven't bought anything but SRAM since. No way on the hollow pins for off-road for my setups but all of the others thave been great. I like the Powerlink, much easier to setup/maintain IMHO. I believe the SS chains are a bit wider like a 6/7/8 speed, or maybe the have no "shifting features".

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
again, the praise for sram, but a different chain, especially for SSing:

the pimpin PC-7X. its gold, its got thick plates, not too pricey, and impossible to break. oh- and it makes your typical 8 or 9 speed chain look wimpy. oh- and I've had one on the 26er ss and 29er ss for their ss lives, with no issues of stretch.

downs: maybe you dont like gold. not terribly light.

heck, the most damage i've done to one is bending a link- right after taco-ing a chainring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.