Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently upgrading my drivetrain from 3x8 to shimano xt 3x10.

Got everything switched over (cassette, crank/chain rings, shifters, rd and chain). Was told that the stock fd would be ok to leave on. But now I got a good deal on a xt fd and will have to break the chain to put on the new fd.

Now my questions are:
- initially when broke the chain to the correct length, shimano states to break it anywhere but not where a reinforced pin is. I couldn't tell the differences between the pins so I just broke it where the correct length would be. Or are they stating once connected together don't break it where it was connected with the supplied pin?

- I'm getting mixed info on what defines 2 links when measuring chain length. Most sites I see state 2 links consist of 3 pins, yet I saw a video where the person stated 2 links consists of 5 pins (@6:43)
Deore XT 9 Chain Install with KMC missing link - BikemanforU - DIY Bike Repair - YouTube
What's correct?

- Since I need to break the chain for the new fd, I think I'll use some sort of quick disconnecting link so I can take the chain on/off when doing some maintenance. What's everyone's thoughts on KMC's missing link, SRAM's power link, etc? Or should I stay with a pin?

TIA

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
If you are using a Shimano chain, I'd recommend using their pins. The open end of the link should be facing rearward. The video below is for road chains but you'll get the idea.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,422 Posts
KMC Missing link works flawlessly on Shimano 10 speed chains
Maybe, but the chain comes with the special pins for installation, and they also work flawlessly. The missing link is nice to have for the trail, although you can install it when you install the chain and then you can disconnect it for cleaning. Either way is fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are using a Shimano chain, I'd recommend using their pins. The open end of the link should be facing rearward. The video below is for road chains but you'll get the idea.

Interesting. In the shimano instructions for the mtb chain it's totally opposite. States to measure around big cog and big chain ring, to add two links to the measured length, and the open end should face forward.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info on the missing link. Been reading reviews of it on CRC and some have said that the 10 speed missing link doesn't fit but the 9 speed does. Why does it seem it's hit or miss?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts