Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just finished my conversion to an old frame, i just pulled off one of the cogs from a semi old cassette and saved the middle chain ring. is a 9 spd chain necessary? or can i get away with an 8 spd chain and hopefully get a little longer life out of it? is it even going to make a difference?

thanks in advance

edit: can i use a single speed chain? i know 9 spd chains are alot narrower, but since im not changing gears at all, will it make much difference? is it more likely to derail?

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
You will be better off going with an 8 speed chain or a good SS dedicated 3/32" chain. I prefer the KMC Z610H. You will be putting way more stress on the chain in a SS configuration so you need all the strength you can get. Next upgrade to a dedicated SS cog and chainring without ramps or pins. Ride on!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
bullsh!t - 9spd chains are just as strong as anything else... i say use the proper sized chain for you cogs (or don't) but don't believe the hype that certain width chains are stronger than others.

what was said about unramped cogs and rings is true though... those ramped ones will "shift" on you when you least want/expect it!

·
Administrator
11,880 Posts
FWIW i have ridden cast off chains from my geared bikes, both road and mountain, on my singlespeed for years now. Just cut them to length and ride 'em. Never broken one on any ride. I am +200lbs and ride a convert SS bike a lot.

use what you have.

·
Registered
459 Posts
cutthroat said:
You will be putting way more stress on the chain in a SS configuration so you need all the strength you can get.
Why would a Singlespeed put more stress on the chain?:confused:
You would generally put less stress. :thumbsup:
The 8spd chain will work fine. However, the shifty cog will not work, unless you are using a tentioner. The shifty ring may give you problems as well.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i used an old rear der. in place of a tensioner, so hopefully that will help, as for the rear cog, I'm still looking for the cheapest SS one i can find (college budget). im still testing the waters so i dont want to invest too much in it yet with 2 other bikes that get worked in the rotation. will the 9spd ring up front do the job after i replace the rear cog...eventually? i would like to replace the chain just once so can i go with the SS chain right away without problems, also they seem to be a bit cheaper.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
32seventeen said:
Why would a Singlespeed put more stress on the chain?:confused:
The entire drivetrain on a SS will take more abuse than a geared bike - instead of downshifting for climbs you're standing and hammering on the cranks, chainring, chain and cog - bottom bracket flexes more, CL gets more deflection, for the amount of stress induced on the drivetrain on climbs the chain can't wrap around a bigger cog to spread out the load - hence more stress and impact on every part of the system - the chain is typically the weakest link there - if it''s going to fail it will be there.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
max-a-mill said:
bullsh!t - 9spd chains are just as strong as anything else...
I defer to the authority on this issue - Sheldon Brown - he agrees that bushingless chains are generally more durable than bushing chains. The KMCZ610H is an example of great SS 3/32" chain that will outlast a conventional 9-speed chain. http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.