Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years only rode 1/8" chains on my SS and this has worked well.

I'm looking to buy an UNO chainring for my Middleburn cranks. They come in 2 flavors: width that is for 1/8" chains, and width that is for 8, 9, 10 speed chains (of course you could run a 1/8" chain on the narrower ring).

The likely benefit of going with the dedicated 1/8" ring is that it is likely thicker and and should wear better. I do have easy access to 1/8" chains and find the quality and functionality fine (just stay away from the SRAM PC-1, non-nickel plated).

Biggest downside of a 1/8" is probably weight, but I like to think they last longer.

The thinner ring would obviously be more compatible with any chain I have lying around.

Thoughts?

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
running 1/8 on a middleburn now and do think the ring wears well, but not a big difference in chain wear I feel. Been rotating 2 chains only gone through one rotation each am about to do it again as I can just see a bit of slack forming, but may get another chain and do the same. Had the set up for about 2000 hard k's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Always used 8spd chains. Occasionally switched to 1/8 but always go back to 8 spd. Never had an issue.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
IDK......I really have not found 8 spd chains to last any longer than 9 spd chains, or vice versa.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts